General Category > General Discussion

Haredims and Kahanists ?

<< < (10/16) > >>

The One and Only Mo:

--- Quote from: Kahane-Was-Right BT on December 06, 2009, 05:37:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mo2388 on December 06, 2009, 05:31:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kahane-Was-Right BT on December 06, 2009, 04:41:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mo2388 on December 06, 2009, 04:25:53 PM ---
--- Quote ---Written Law, yes.  Tanach, not so much.

--- End quote ---
Tanach includes the 5 books of Moses. Maybe you guys are referring to Nach.
--- End quote ---

Yes I was referring to Naviim and Ketuvim mostly.  I figured that is what he meant.   

--- End quote ---

Regardless, they learn enough of it and know plenty. Not to mention, a lot of it is already used in the Talmud.

--- End quote ---

I think what they learn of it is mostly as kids, and you don't retain that much knowledge of it.  The more operational knowledge is of talmud, the mode the yeshiva switches to at rather young age nowadays.   You can't learn all your nach from Talmud and say that that is sufficient or adequate knowledge of those texts.  (Although some will say "that's all you need to know!" - I don't think that's an intellectually honest position.)  Nonetheless, the women know tanach rather well.    And of course there are always exceptions.  But for sure, the zionist yeshivot incorporated the tanach study for a reason.. Because it was lacking in the yeshivot.  It is not a main focus.  Some lament this, others celebrate it, others perhaps are indifferent or don't realize things can be different or don't find them worth changing even if they don't like it entirely.

--- End quote ---
Right, but the point is that they know enough even though they may focus more on gemara as they get older.

Dr. Dan:
What do you mean that the haredim are not stylish?!  I think the peyot are cutest things ever!!!!!!!!!

muman613:

--- Quote from: Dr. Dan on December 06, 2009, 05:52:33 PM ---What do you mean that the haredim are not stylish?!  I think the peyot are cutest things ever!!!!!!!!!

--- End quote ---

My Peyot are the cutest things ever..... I havent cut them in over 3 years...

Dr. Dan:
If it was accepted by my wife and family I woukd consider growing them except for the fact it be a chilool hshem because I don't wear a kippa nor shomer shabbat etc. But peyot are beautiful and I do have a fascination with them

✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ:

--- Quote from: Zelhar on December 06, 2009, 08:25:41 AM ---It is important to understand that there is a whole spectrum of religious variates in Israel. Charedism itself is a large various section on the spectrum.

--- End quote ---
i really hope their numbers grow, but i read somewhere here mention that Charedim men cannot interact with women? does that mean they have to live a celibate life? THen its really difficult for their numbers to grow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version