Author Topic: 'Bombers' Kill 64 World Cup Viewers in Uganda  (Read 539 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
'Bombers' Kill 64 World Cup Viewers in Uganda
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Simultaneous explosions tore through crowds watching the World Cup final at a rugby club and an Ethiopian restaurant, killing at least 64 people including one American, officials said. Police feared an Al Qaeda-linked Somali militant group was behind the attacks.

Blood and pieces of flesh littered the floor among overturned chairs at the scenes of the blasts, which went off as people watched the game between Spain and the Netherlands late Sunday. The attack on the rugby club, where crowds sat outside watching a large-screen TV, left 49 dead, police said. Fifteen others were killed in the restaurant explosion.

One American was killed in the blasts, said Joann Lockard, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in Kampala. Several Americans from a Pennsylvania church group were wounded in the restaurant attack including Kris Sledge, 18, of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.

"I remember blacking out, hearing people screaming and running," Sledge said from the hospital. His right leg was wrapped and he had burns on his face. "I love the place here but I'm wondering why this happened and who did this ... At this point we're just glad to be alive."

Kampala's police chief said he believed Somalia's most feared militant group, al-Shabab, could be responsible for the attack. Al-Shabab is known to have links with Al Qaeda, and it counts militant veterans from the Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan conflicts among its ranks. Simultaneous attacks are also one of Al Qaeda's hallmarks.

If those suspicions prove true, it would be the first time that al-Shabab has carried out attacks outside of Somalia.

The explosions came just two days after an al-Shabab commander, Sheik Muktar Robow, called for militants to attack sites in Uganda and Burundi -- two nations that contribute troops to the African Union peacekeeping force in Somalia.

A senior police official at the scene who said he could not be identified said that 64 people had been killed -- 49 from the rugby club and 15 at the Ethiopian restaurant.

A head and legs were found at the rugby club, suggesting a suicide bomber may have been to blame, an AP reporter at the scene said.

Police Chief Kale Kaihura said he suspected al-Shabab had carried out the attack. The group's fighters, including two recruited from the Somali communities in the United States, have carried out multiple suicide bombings in Somalia.

In Mogadishu, Somalia, Sheik Yusuf Sheik Issa, an al-Shabab commander, told The Associated Press early Monday that he was happy with the attacks in Uganda. Issa refused to confirm or deny that al-Shabab was responsible for the bombings.

"Uganda is one of our enemies. Whatever makes them cry, makes us happy. May Allah's anger be upon those who are against us," Sheik said.

In addition to Uganda's troops in Mogadishu, Uganda also hosts Somali soldiers trained in U.S. and European-backed programs.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said the U.S. was prepared to provide any necessary assistance to the Ugandan government.

"The president is deeply saddened by the loss of life resulting from these deplorable and cowardly attacks, and sends his condolences to the people of Uganda and the loved ones of those who have been killed or injured," Vietor said.

Kenya's foreign minister, Moses M. Wetangula, told The Associated Press last week that enough veteran militants from the Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan conflicts have relocated to Somalia to spark worry inside the international community.

International militants have flocked to Somalia because the country's government controls only a few square miles of the capital, Mogadishu, leaving most of the rest of the country as lawless territory where insurgents can train and plan attacks unimpeded.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/11/uganda-bombs-explode-sites-deaths-feared-somali-militia-blamed/

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: 'Bombers' Kill 64 World Cup Viewers in Uganda
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:52 PM »
What a tragedy.  Yet another shining example why the moral world needs to boycott Islam.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:19:29 AM »
I knew it was Muslims who do this. Even if it was in Africa, I still feel bad for the victims who were killed in this tragedy.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »
They said they wanted to do an attack and they did it. They didn't do it at the world cup match but they did kill one American. That was their real agenda

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »
From a tactical point of view, how does this help Al Quaeda's cause?  I can see, if they attack Americans, how much of the world would love it.  But would good does it do for them to kill scores of people at random who are watching the World Cup?

Obviously, even without this latest attack, it is most imperative that we wipe them out no matter where they are.  Are we vicious enough?  Not even close. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
From a tactical point of view, how does this help Al Quaeda's cause?  I can see, if they attack Americans, how much of the world would love it.  But would good does it do for them to kill scores of people at random who are watching the World Cup?

Obviously, even without this latest attack, it is most imperative that we wipe them out no matter where they are.  Are we vicious enough?  Not even close. 

well, from a tactical standpoint, It gets them one step closer to meeting Mouhammad