Poll

Could they and should they have taken UBL alive?

They could have and should have
They could have but should not have
They could not have and should not have

Author Topic: Taking UBL alive  (Read 613 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Taking UBL alive
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
I believe they could have taken him alive because I heard that he was mightily outnumbered and unarmed at his time of death. I think they should have treated him like Saddam. Yes, giving him a trial is weird, but they gave one to Saddam. Plus, it's hypocritical to respect him in death but not give him the right of a trial (I use the term "right" loosely). What a statement it would have made to get that s.o.b. alive and have him rot in prison and all have all the Muslims worry about him until his death sentence. We could have seen the Muslim world beg for his release etc. Think of the ratings his trial would have attracted. Plus, getting him to talk would have probably led to more captures and information etc. I vote could have and should have.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Taking UBL alive
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »
And they left living people in the compound instead of questioning them. Additionally, they killed other people who could have been useful. They spent 40 minutes in that massive compound? I would have spent days and days trying to find every little piece of material I could use.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:10 PM »
When I heard the news I said, "At Last Divine Justice has been done to this man, who escaped the military for 10 years!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »
I think it would have been a mistake to keep him alive.  Because from his jail cell (and court room) he would be rallying muslims worldwide, he would have turned into an even bigger martyr to the muslims than if they just killed him.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »
And they left living people in the compound instead of questioning them. Additionally, they killed other people who could have been useful. They spent 40 minutes in that massive compound? I would have spent days and days trying to find every little piece of material I could use.

Yes, on the surface that sounds stupid, BUT, perhaps what Bush said about bin laden being marginalized and no longer effective was correct?   In that case, it was simply an assassination mission and there wasn't much in terms of intelligence gathering or information to be collected if he's no longer functioning in the role he once was.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:06 AM »
I have such vengeance in me.  I wish they would have captured him and tortured him mercilessly to get all sorts of information out of him.  I know this is idiotic, but this is my wish anyhow.  And I think it's assinine to say that people don't give up true information under the right torture. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »
Better dead than alive.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »
They would have if they could have. But his "wife" that he was using as a human shield made a threatening motion towards the SEALs, thereby eliciting the lethal blows to both of them. Just comes to show just how pathetic their leader is who needs to use a woman as a human shield!

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:50:03 AM »
They would have if they could have. But his "wife" that he was using as a human shield made a threatening motion towards the SEALs, thereby eliciting the lethal blows to both of them. Just comes to show just how pathetic their leader is who needs to use a woman as a human shield!

That's incorrect.  There was a different man in the house who used a woman as a human shield.   Bin laden's wife rushed at the commando to attack him and he shot her in the leg (not lethal, she is alive).   Bin Laden was unarmed.  It WAS an assassination mission, and I do not doubt that any of those commandos, upon recognizing bin laden, would have an overwhelming desire to put a bullet in his head and there was NO WAY he was getting out of there alive.