Author Topic: you know what else pisses me off?  (Read 8523 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
you know what else pisses me off?
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »
I know it's not that time of the year yet...but when any Jew or Jewish groups get offended when there are Christmas displays in public areas and no recognition of Hanukah with displays next to them...What's the deal? Where were you last on Sukkot and Pesach and Shavuot?  You make such a big deal about Hanukah which in itself is a great holiday for Jews..but Christmas is an even greater holiday for Christians in comparison...pisses me off. Want to kick them in the nuts!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Re: you know what else pisses me off?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »
I don't think it's right for there to be Christian displays in public places, but that said those Jewish groups are mainly the liberal ones and they really should show some true Ahavat Yisrael instead of fighting about Christmas trees
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »
I don't think it's right for there to be Christian displays in public places, but that said those Jewish groups are mainly the liberal ones and they really should show some true Ahavat Yisrael instead of fighting about Christmas trees

This is a Christian country...let them celebrate to their hearts' desire...certainly I would like the same favor when our most important holidays turn the corner..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »

This is a Christian country...let them celebrate to their hearts' desire...certainly I would like the same favor when our most important holidays turn the corner..
While the majority of the population is Christian the country claims not to have an official religion. As such it should either have displays for all religions or no religions.......
KAHANE TZADAK!

kellymaureen

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »
I think that Christmas isnt celebrated as a religious holiday as much as it use to be, I know I dont celebrate it that way, no matter what its supposed to be, its more of a commercial holiday now.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:31:48 PM »
Christmas is an official government holiday. So if people want to put up Christian displays, so be it. 

I agree that the ones whining about the lack of Chanukah displays are the liberal non-religious ones.  Even though Chanukah is not one of the major Jewish holidays like Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Passover, these people still try and make a big deal of it.  They're the ones that go around buying each other Channukah presents.  I think they just do that so they don't feel left out during all the Christmas festivities.   I somehow doubt these people observe the other holidays as much as they do Chanukah.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
Both holidays should be displayed.  When I was in Public shool, we had both holidays displayed.  All of my teachers wished me a happy Hunnakkah.  I did the same if they were jewish.  If not, I wished them a Merry Christmas or Easter or whatever the holiday was.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »
Christmas is an official government holiday. So if people want to put up Christian displays, so be it. 

I agree that the ones whining about the lack of Chanukah displays are the liberal non-religious ones.  Even though Chanukah is not one of the major Jewish holidays like Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Passover, these people still try and make a big deal of it.  They're the ones that go around buying each other Channukah presents.  I think they just do that so they don't feel left out during all the Christmas festivities.   I somehow doubt these people observe the other holidays as much as they do Chanukah.

I dont mean to be rude, but Chanukah is no where near the level of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, or Pesach. Chanukah is not a Torah holiday and Jews are permitted to work on all days of Chanukah so it doesnt have the same importance.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »
I'll clarify, i'm not against menorahs and dreydals being displayed. I have a problem when jews complain when they aren't displayed with the Christmas decorations. Rather, they shoudl complain that Shavuot is not given recognition...at least that!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
It all has to do with the demographic in a particular area. Hey, just remember, we've got it very good in comparison to other parts in the country. When I was in Oneonta, I went to the mall to try to find an electric menorah. Every store I went to, nobody knew what I was talking about. When I said, "Chanukah lamp", they still had no clue. Just on an associated topic and memory, I also remember several years ago, I went to a small local supermarket in Queens to ask where the matzo was and every single person there didn't know what the heck I was saying.

I had a friend who went to college in Cobleskill in upstate NY. Not only did she not get off for either Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur. But the school actually gave off for the days "between" the two holidays!!! Talk about getting pissed off!!!

But nothing pisses me off more than someone who says, "Oh, you're Jewish? That means you don't believe in G-d." This past summer, I was playing Family Feud online and was mentioning how I was Jewish when a Christmas question came up. This one girl actually said, "So that means you don't believe in god." I thought she was kidding at first. When I try to explain how I'm Jewish, she reprimands me and gets pissed off at me and tells me that I'm going to burn in hell for this and how I should only believe in Jesus Christ. I was so befuddled about this and couldn't figure out whether this had more to do with antisemitism or just plain ignorance. It's as though this girl from Little Rock, AK never confronted a Jew before in her entire life.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »
I'll clarify, i'm not against menorahs and dreydals being displayed. I have a problem when jews complain when they aren't displayed with the Christmas decorations. Rather, they shoudl complain that Shavuot is not given recognition...at least that!

Those Jews only go to synagogue 3 days a year (Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur), celebrate Hanukkah in a self-hating way, and have a Passover seder. You don't see them celebrating Sukkot or Shavuot.

Actually the reformed movement only goes one day for Rosh Hashanah........ so they go 2 times per year...
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »
It all has to do with the demographic in a particular area. Hey, just remember, we've got it very good in comparison to other parts in the country. When I was in Oneonta, I went to the mall to try to find an electric menorah. Every store I went to, nobody knew what I was talking about. When I said, "Chanukah lamp", they still had no clue. Just on an associated topic and memory, I also remember several years ago, I went to a small local supermarket in Queens to ask where the matzo was and every single person there didn't know what the heck I was saying.

I had a friend who went to college in Cobleskill in upstate NY. Not only did she not get off for either Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur. But the school actually gave off for the days "between" the two holidays!!! Talk about getting pissed off!!!

But nothing pisses me off more than someone who says, "Oh, you're Jewish? That means you don't believe in G-d." This past summer, I was playing Family Feud online and was mentioning how I was Jewish when a Christmas question came up. This one girl actually said, "So that means you don't believe in G-d." I thought she was kidding at first. When I try to explain how I'm Jewish, she reprimands me and gets pissed off at me and tells me that I'm going to burn in hell for this and how I should only believe in Jesus Christ. I was so befuddled about this and couldn't figure out whether this had more to do with antisemitism or just plain ignorance. It's as though this girl from Little Rock, AK never confronted a Jew before in her entire life.

you shoudl have told her that you had three horns instead of two...an extra special Jew. ::)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 08:37:06 PM »

I dont mean to be rude, but Chanukah is no where near the level of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, or Pesach. Chanukah is not a Torah holiday and Jews are permitted to work on all days of Chanukah so it doesnt have the same importance.

I guess I wasn't being clear.  I agree with you that Chanukah is no where near the level of Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Sukkot or Pesach.  My point was that the liberal, non-observant, self hating Jews, with their carping and caterwauling over Chanukah displays in public, and with their wacky ideas of giving each other eight presents for each day of the holiday, try to make it into something it's not, in order to compete with Christmas. 

It seems to me that these people are almost invariably non-religious otherswise, and don't even keep kosher. 

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »
Jews should aways be welcome in any Christian country!Always

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 08:42:06 PM »

But nothing pisses me off more than someone who says, "Oh, you're Jewish? That means you don't believe in G-d." This past summer, I was playing Family Feud online and was mentioning how I was Jewish when a Christmas question came up. This one girl actually said, "So that means you don't believe in G-d." I thought she was kidding at first. When I try to explain how I'm Jewish, she reprimands me and gets pissed off at me and tells me that I'm going to burn in hell for this and how I should only believe in Jesus Christ. I was so befuddled about this and couldn't figure out whether this had more to do with antisemitism or just plain ignorance. It's as though this girl from Little Rock, AK never confronted a Jew before in her entire life.

you shoudl have told her that you had three horns instead of two...an extra special Jew. ::)

Yeah, that woulda been a good one! What I did was quote George Carlin and said that she was operating with the mentality of "my g-d has a bigger !@#$ than your g-d" and that really burnt her up big time.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »

Those Jews only go to synagogue 3 days a year (Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur), celebrate Hanukkah in a self-hating way, and have a Passover seder. You don't see them celebrating Sukkot or Shavuot.

How does someone celebrate Hanukkah or anything else in a "self-hating way"? If someone is truly self-hating, then they're not going to remotely celebrate anything at all in any way, shape, or form.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »
WE all know what self hating means.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »

I like true Christians very much, and encourage that they can celebrate their holidays, I want them to feast, sing, put out their decorations, and worship with with all the exuberance they can.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

raiseyourfist

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
IN this day n age i think that jews should be encouraged to live in ha'eretz Israel but not forced to...

I know a lot of crazy ultra jews that say to my firends that if a jew doesn't go an live in Israel they will go to hell...

This type of talk turns people off religion when they are told to go and do something which puts them in an uncomfortable situation..

I am a fan of Judaism because of its teachings but i am annoyed when people expect you to do things according to popular beliefs... It is problematic and a great deal of people are being turned off by religion by the religious trying to pin their ideas on others...

AND IT HAPPENS IN ALL FAITHS...

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »
When the Yankees win a game pisses me off!!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 09:13:25 PM »

That's not quite true. I get the feeling that many people define "self-hating" as anyone who doesn't agree with what someone else believes in. It seems like many people define a self-hating Jew as anyone who is in favor of the Oslo Accords, two-state solution, etc. I used to be in favor of this, but never considered myself "self-hating" because of this. My family still agrees and believes in this. I respectfully disagree with them now, but in no way do I consider them "self-hating" or doubt their love and devotion to Judaism and Zionism. I get the sense that "self-hating" is also attributed to non or less observant Jews. On both ends, I disagree with the term "self-hating" to describe them. If anything, many of these people are "other-hating" Jews.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 09:24:31 PM »

That's not quite true. I get the feeling that many people define "self-hating" as anyone who doesn't agree with what someone else believes in. It seems like many people define a self-hating Jew as anyone who is in favor of the Oslo Accords, two-state solution, etc. I used to be in favor of this, but never considered myself "self-hating" because of this. My family still agrees and believes in this. I respectfully disagree with them now, but in no way do I consider them "self-hating" or doubt their love and devotion to Judaism and Zionism. I get the sense that "self-hating" is also attributed to non or less observant Jews. On both ends, I disagree with the term "self-hating" to describe them. If anything, many of these people are "other-hating" Jews.

I agree with you, Daniel...Left wing or right wing...if a Jew cares about another Jew's welfare and Israel...even if she thinks that Jerusalem should be given to the enemy for the sake of peace, they are not self-hating...just really really really dumb in my opnion.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »
Yakov your right on this one!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 10:05:27 PM »
If you support a Pali state, you're not a Zionist. That is the antithesis of Zionism, not to mention the antithesis of Judaism.

the vast majority don't know any better...so they might think they are zionists...they need to be corrected and that's where chaim comes in and would have been kahane before he was murdered.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »
The National Jewish Democrat Council tries to have a war against Christmas.  And they're offended that people wouldn't want a Muslim president

http://www.njdc.org/issues/detail.php?id=743&iss=2

And they think Pat Robertson is evil.