Author Topic: What's Your Idea of the Perfect Day?  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Re: What's Your Idea of the Perfect Day?
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2008, 10:17:14 PM »
I'm bored so I looked it up.

Here's ALL the definitions for "help".

help      /hɛlp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[help] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1.   to give or provide what is necessary to accomplish a task or satisfy a need; contribute strength or means to; render assistance to; cooperate effectively with; aid; assist: He planned to help me with my work. Let me help you with those packages.
2.   to save; rescue; succor: Help me, I'm falling!
3.   to make easier or less difficult; contribute to; facilitate: The exercise of restraint is certain to help the achievement of peace.
4.   to be useful or profitable to: Her quick mind helped her career.
5.   to refrain from; avoid (usually prec. by can or cannot): He can't help doing it.
6.   to relieve or break the uniformity of: Small patches of bright color can help an otherwise dull interior.
7.   to relieve (someone) in need, sickness, pain, or distress.
8.   to remedy, stop, or prevent: Nothing will help my headache.
9.   to serve food to at table (usually fol. by to): Help her to salad.
10.   to serve or wait on (a customer), as in a store.
–verb (used without object)
11.   to give aid; be of service or advantage: Every little bit helps.
–noun
12.   the act of helping; aid or assistance; relief or succor.
13.   a person or thing that helps: She certainly is a help in an emergency.
14.   a hired helper; employee.
15.   a body of such helpers.
16.   a domestic servant or a farm laborer.
17.   means of remedying, stopping, or preventing: The thing is done, and there is no help for it now.

And here's ALL the definitions for serve:

serve      /sɜrv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[surv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, served, serv·ing, noun
–verb (used without object)
1.   to act as a servant.
2.   to wait on table, as a waiter.
3.   to offer or have a meal or refreshments available, as for patrons or guests: Come early, we're serving at six.
4.   to offer or distribute a portion or portions of food or a beverage, as a host or hostess: It was her turn to serve at the faculty tea.
5.   to render assistance; be of use; help.
6.   to go through a term of service; do duty as a soldier, sailor, senator, juror, etc.
7.   to have definite use: This cup will serve as a sugar bowl.
8.   to answer the purpose: That will serve to explain my actions.
9.   (in tennis, badminton, handball, etc.) to put the ball or shuttlecock in play with a stroke, swing, or hit.
10.   to be favorable, suitable, or convenient, as weather or time.
11.   Ecclesiastical. to act as a server.
–verb (used with object)
12.   to be in the service of; work for.
13.   to be useful or of service to; help.
14.   to go through (a term of service, imprisonment, etc.).
15.   to render active service to (a sovereign, commander, etc.).
16.   to render obedience or homage to (God, a sovereign, etc.).
17.   to perform the duties of (a position, an office, etc.): to serve his mayoralty.
18.   to answer the requirements of; suffice: This will serve our needs for the moment.
19.   to contribute to; promote: to serve a cause.
20.   to wait upon at table; act as a waiter or waitress to.
21.   to carry and distribute (portions of food or drink) to a patron or a specific table, as a waiter or waitress.
22.   to act as a host or hostess in offering (a person) a portion of food or drink: May I serve you with some tea and cake?
23.   to act as a host or hostess in offering or distributing (a portion or portions of food or drink) to another: They served tea and cake to their guests.
24.   to provide with a regular or continuous supply of something.
25.   (in tennis, badminton, handball, etc.) to put (the ball or shuttlecock) in play.
26.   to treat in a specified manner: That served him ill.
27.   Law.
a.   to make legal delivery of (a process or writ).
b.   to present (a person) with a writ.
28.   to gratify (desire, wants, needs, etc.).
29.   (of a male animal) to mate with; service.
30.   to operate or keep in action (a gun, artillery, etc.).
31.   Nautical. to wrap (a rope) tightly with small stuff, keeping the turns as close together as possible.
–noun
32.   the act, manner, or right of serving, as in tennis.
—Idiom
33.   serve one right, to treat one as one deserves, esp. to punish justly: It will serve you right if she never speaks to you again.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

You said "help"=serve, no?

Helping the animals is NOT our purpose in creation. We have a lot more to do than that. They are here to help us.

Not there i come from mate, help and serve are two different things.

Help
Definition: To furnish with strength or means for the successful performance of any action or the attainment of any object; to aid; to assist; as, to help a man in his work; to help one to remember; the following infinitive is commonly used without to; as, "Help me scale yon balcony."

Serve
Definition: The performance of work or duties for a superior or as a servant

I never said it was our sole duty, but is apart of it, everyone has a role, you can't have all leaders and no workers, its called delegation.

And mine is with the protection and helping of G-ds creatures.

Your role is different to mine, as a rabbi you are  people focused.

I don't disrespect you for your choice in life.

Wrong. I am a Jew first and foremost. My goal is to elevate ALL of creation including the animals to their purpose for which they were created. That is my job description.

It's good you take care of them, just remember who is supposed to be leading who.

Animals generally do okay without human assistance. Usually it's when humans get involved we mess it up.

I never forget who is my leader

And who is that?
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »

Helping the animals is NOT our purpose in creation. We have a lot more to do than that. They are here to help us.

Help
Definition: To furnish with strength or means for the successful performance of any action or the attainment of any object; to aid; to assist; as, to help a man in his work; to help one to remember; the following infinitive is commonly used without to; as, "Help me scale yon balcony."

Serve

I never said it was our sole duty, but is apart of it, everyone has a role, you can't have all leaders and no workers, its called delegation.

Wrong. I am a Jew first and foremost. My goal is to elevate ALL of creation including the animals to their purpose for which they were created. That is my job description.

It's good you take care of them, just remember who is supposed to be leading who.

Animals generally do okay without human assistance. Usually it's when humans get involved we mess it up.

And who is that?

Lubab  ??? I am shocked at you, of course there is only one leader, that is G-d.

And I know what you are going to write  8;)

Do you wish this circle to start again............. ::)

Dear dear Lubab I wish to say so much to you, but this is not the medium to do so.

Why are you making this so hard for me?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »

Help

Serve

And who is that?

Lubab  ??? I am shocked at you, of course there is only one leader, that is G-d.

Dear dear Lubab I wish to say so much to you, but this is not the medium to do so.

I'm sorry I doubted you. I was afraid you were going to say it was your dog or something. You know dog, G-d, people get it confused.  :::D

I really don't mean to be difficult. I'll shut up now if you like.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »

Help

Serve

And who is that?

I'm sorry I doubted you. I was afraid you were going to say it was your dog or something. You know dog, G-d, people get it confused.  :::D

I really don't mean to be difficult. I'll shut up now if you like.

No that is cat and G-d people get confused  :::D :::D

Its because of the Egyptians you know, 3000 years ago Basat was their G-d, and I think cats have never forgot this.

Tell a Rabbi to shut up...........Whooooaaaa the gates of hell have just opened up, thanks Lubab   :-\

:::D :::D

I am not a completely lost you know  ;)