General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

The Ask Lubab "Show"

<< < (36/41) > >>

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Shlomo on June 25, 2008, 07:23:53 PM ---Rabbi Lubab,

What made you decide to be a Rabbi? Was there a certain event that happened in your life or did you make the decision over a long period of time?

-Shlomo

--- End quote ---

Hi Shlomo! G-d bless you for everything  you've done for JTF and the Jewish people. We are all eternally grateful.

Funnily enough Tina Greco asked me a similar question much earlier on in this thread.

I'll repost the question and answer here:

Quote from: Skippy on February 14, 2008, 05:48:11 PM
Lubab why did you choose to be  a Rabbi?

Well I'm not a Rabbi by profession. I chose to do the studies to get Rabbinical ordination because the Lubavitcher Rebbe directed that every Jewish man should do this before they get married.

He gave a few reasons for this:

1. Because each Jewish man is the "Rabbi" in his home whether he likes it or not. You can't ask a Rabbi about everything, so at least the man should actually know what he's talking about.

2. It's also important to know WHEN you need to ask a Rabbi. If you don't know anything about halacha you don't know how to ask, when to ask, what to ask.

So basically because of the Rebbe's great concern that each Jewish home be run in accordance with Jewish law, he directed that everyone complete these studies.

I don't think I'm a big scholar at all. I'm the "de-facto" forum Rabbi because I happen to have this certificate, and nobody else seems to want the job.   ;)

Shlomo:
Thank you, Rabbi.

We are so honored to have you on the forum and you are very humble and wise.

How long does it take to become a Rabbi? What is required?

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Shlomo on June 26, 2008, 01:47:20 AM ---Thank you, Rabbi.

We are so honored to have you on the forum and you are very humble and wise.

How long does it take to become a Rabbi? What is required?

--- End quote ---

Thank you Shlomo I wish I was as wise as I might appear sometimes on here but in fact it's my Rabbi who is the wise one. I often go ask him the questions posted here and just parrot back what he says. Thanks anyway, though.

It depends on which yeshiva you plan to do your studies. In Chabad they know you will probably not make novel halachic rulings with your semicha without further study so the studies can technically be completed within a year which his how long it took for me to do it.

Most all shluchim will defer to the ruling of a senior paskeing (fully able to decide novel halachic issues) Rov if a novel question comes up. For a Chabad Rabbi to decide these issues they need another year of study plus a one year internship under such a paskening Rov making a total of 3 years.

So the first level of semicha which I have (called Yadin) involves learning the laws of milk and meat and other laws of kashrut, salting meat, some laws of kosher slaughter and the laws of Shabbat. Some programs will also require mastery of Chumash with Rashi. For Yadin Yadin (the paskening level)  you need to learn the laws of the Jewish Court system among many other topics. 

In a semicah program like YU they will require other courses like Jewish philosophy, history and public speaking but this really has little to do with semicha but just is helpful if you are going to be a Rabbi by profession. I believe their entire program is four years.

Maimonides:
Rabbi Lubab:

Thank you for the answer it really opened my mind.

--- Quote ---P.S. You don't do it with the mohel or at the bris generally, you do it 31 days after birth.
--- End quote ---

Well a family member of mine was asked to get the silver coins ready right after the bris for their first-born son.

--- Quote ---plus the Kohen usually returns the coins to the father as a gift after the ceremony.
--- End quote ---

In this case the rabbi said they keep the coins, perhaps Chabad Jews tends to be more generous than the "enlighten Jews" of "Conservative Judaism".

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Maimonides on June 26, 2008, 09:33:57 AM ---Rabbi Lubab:

Thank you for the answer it really opened my mind.

--- Quote ---P.S. You don't do it with the mohel or at the bris generally, you do it 31 days after birth.
--- End quote ---

Well a family member of mine was asked to get the silver coins ready right after the bris for their first-born son.

--- Quote ---plus the Kohen usually returns the coins to the father as a gift after the ceremony.
--- End quote ---

In this case the rabbi said they keep the coins, perhaps Chabad Jews tends to be more generous than the "enlighten Jews" of "Conservative Judaism".

--- End quote ---

Sure! But doing it at the bris would only happen if they babies bris were delayed because the baby is sick and got better on that 31st day, so someone is probably trying to pull a fast one here.

I doubt consevative and Reform Jews do this right at all as they reject the Talmud which explains the details of how it's done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version