Author Topic: Why is it forbidden to marry a jewish girl?  (Read 8426 times)

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
Why is it forbidden to marry a jewish girl?
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
Why is it forbidden for a gentile to marry a jewish girl? Can someone explain.
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Why is it forbidden to marry a jewish girl?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »
According to the Torah, Jews should not intermarry because their children will turn to other religions. "You shall not intermarry with them: do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. For you will turn your children away from Me to worship other gods..." (Deuteronomy 7:1-3).

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:24:54 PM »
According to the Torah, Jews should not intermarry because their children will turn to other religions. "You shall not intermarry with them: do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. For you will turn your children away from Me to worship other gods..." (Deuteronomy 7:1-3).

I think one can practice his religion even though he is married to a gentile if the gentile is tolerant and the kids of a jewish mother are jews anyway according to hallacha no matter whats the fathers religion.
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
What do you know about the Jews? I guess you don't know anything. Why don't regist to a religious ask forum, where you can put questions to the rabbis?
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
If the women were to intermarry, who would the man then marry ?
It seems common sense that intermarry should be discouraged for reasons of self preservation, especially for a small scattered minority as the Jews are in the diaspora.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
Because it is absolutly forbidden by G-d. G-d Blessed be His Holy Name, said it is forbidden. G-d isn't just the G-d if the Jews, He is G-d of everything and everyone.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »
I don't think people with different religions should marry each other anyway but the fact that God specifically said no in this case just makes it all that more important to follow.

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:07 AM »
I don't think people with different religions should marry each other anyway but the fact that G-d specifically said no in this case just makes it all that more important to follow.

why do you think people of different religions shouldnt marry eatch other?
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 05:12:30 AM »

I think one can practice his religion even though he is married to a gentile if the gentile is tolerant and the kids of a jewish mother are jews anyway according to hallacha no matter whats the fathers religion.

According to halacha, it is forbidden to intermarry.   

Furthermore, your example doesn't make any sense.  You are talking about a guy practicing HIS religion, but to practice his religion would mean to marry a Jew, firstly, and also you are talking about the kids being Jewish if he marries a Jewish woman, but weren't you trying to say that the guy married a gentile woman?   That would mean the kids are not Jewish.

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 05:23:21 AM »

Furthermore, your example doesn't make any sense.  You are talking about a guy practicing HIS religion, but to practice his religion would mean to marry a Jew, firstly, and also you are talking about the kids being Jewish if he marries a Jewish woman, but weren't you trying to say that the guy married a gentile woman?   That would mean the kids are not Jewish.

I made a mistake. I tried to say that if a jewish woman marries a gentile guy, the kids are jewish.
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »

I made a mistake. I tried to say that if a jewish woman marries a gentile guy, the kids are jewish.

The problem is, they are probably not raised Jewish, with a Jewish environment, education, focus on Torah and mitzvoth etc.   This is also a problem if one marries a secular Jew.    And a child is supposed to have an influence from his mother and his father.   It's a partnership.   

The goal is not to 'be a Jew' in a secular sense, as if that in itself is somehow an end, or superior to being born anything else, the goal is to live as a Jew according to halacha.   Having a gentile parent who is not focused on infusing the values of Judaism into the child, is obviously counterproductive.     But the real reason not to intermarry is that it is forbidden by halacha.  If you're asking why the halacha forbids it, I think we can arrive at many simple rational answers to support the halacha similar to what I've stated above.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
I don't think people with different religions should marry each other anyway but the fact that G-d specifically said no in this case just makes it all that more important to follow.

why do you think people of different religions shouldnt marry eatch other?

I think people who marry should be of similar background and identity so that children know their background and identity as part of a nation and religion.

I think that only people of the same race should marry one another (Jews are an exception, because regardless of their race they are part of the same "nation").

I also believe that people even of the same race should not marry unless they have the same religion because that means they will share similar values and beliefs and they can work together with their children to teach them morals.

I knew a girl named Serena who was a pretty strong Christian. She got involved with a "shaman" and I told her that it was wrong and against the Christian faith to marry someone of a different religion. She said that she'd remain true to her faith and that she thought it was ok. She used to be pro-life and very conservative. The last time I talked to her, her Christian faith had really deteriorated and she was leaning more toward her husband's ideas and lost her conservative outlook.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »

Don't even the Christians believe that people should not marry if they are not equally yoked? Do you not believe your own religion?

There's a good reason for two people of very different belief systems to marry (even though Western culture is obsessed with the idea of a forbidden relationship with all odds against it which is why they are on very top of the divorce statistics).

If two people marry but do not have a common life goal, then the marriage will most likely fail (or worse, the two people will be miserable). Regardless of romantic fantasies, the initial feelings that one has with the opposite sex do not last and something with subsistence must take its place for real love (not lust) and respect to grow and for the two to have self esteem and pride that they accomplished something important together.

Furthermore, how would someone raise their children? G-d forbid that the Jewish people lose their identity and their Torah.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:00:18 AM »

Don't even the Christians believe that people should not marry if they are not equally yoked? Do you not believe your own religion?

There's a good reason for two people of very different belief systems to marry (even though Western culture is obsessed with the idea of a forbidden relationship with all odds against it which is why they are on very top of the divorce statistics).

If two people marry but do not have a common life goal, then the marriage will most likely fail (or worse, the two people will be miserable). Regardless of romantic fantasies, the initial feelings that one has with the opposite sex do not last and something with subsistence must take its place for real love (not lust) and respect to grow and for the two to have self esteem and pride that they accomplished something important together.

Furthermore, how would someone raise their children? G-d forbid that the Jewish people lose their identity and their Torah.

what means "equally yoked"? there are many christians who marry other religions, my uncle was orthodox and he married a catholic hungarian woman
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
what means "equally yoked"? there are many christians who marry other religions, my uncle was orthodox and he married a catholic hungarian woman

It means they have the same basic belief system. Both your uncle and his wife were Christians.

When G-d tells the Jewish people to marry only Jewish people, this should be enough. I was kind enough to give just a tiny bit of further explanation that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface or talk about souls, keeping a kosher home, or our duty and mission in this life.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
I think different types of Christians should be able to marry as long as they have the same basic beliefs. I don't think it's right for a Christian to marry a non-Christian or a member of a pseudo-Christian cult under any circumstances.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »

It really doesn't even have to do with that though. It has to do with spiritual onenness and unity. Chaim has even said that it is just as forbidden for elderly Jews way past childbearing age to intermarry as younger ones. And the Christian New Testament absolutely forbids intermarrying for Christians as well.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »
Amen to that Shlomo. That is the exact term that Paul uses in the New Testament.

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 02:15:41 AM »

It really doesn't even have to do with that though. It has to do with spiritual onenness and unity. Chaim has even said that it is just as forbidden for elderly Jews way past childbearing age to intermarry as younger ones. And the Christian New Testament absolutely forbids intermarrying for Christians as well.

Can you quote the new testament where it is forbidden to intermarry?
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Listin to this, it will show you all the answers to this particular question
01/08/08 Intermarriage  http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/

Or (straight to the video w/o downloading)

http://www.torahanytime.com/rav_mizrachi_intermarriage_01-08-08.html
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 04:22:49 AM »

This is far from reasonable. Because the children will not have a stable Jewish home the food will only be kosher when the Jewish Parent cooks it. And the Gentile parnter will not keep kosher. Yom Tov presents a problem because you are not allowed to cook for a gentile on Yom Tov. The problems go on and on this only covers the very basics
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
One passage is 1 Corinthians 9:5.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:49 PM »

Exellent points Shlomo.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
Can you quote the new testament where it is forbidden to intermarry?

Let me just be blunt about this. I think you are hear to cause problems and stir up trouble. With a name like "Inquiring Mind", it's obvious that you aren't here because you just love our message.

You have been given plenty of logical reasons. To even suggest such a thing would be the end of the Jewish people, G-d forbid.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
It's only common sense.
It is against her religion.
Isn't that enough said.
How will New Testament Bible quotes help?  ???

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.