Author Topic: How many types of Jews are there  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Axel

• Full JTFer
Re: How many types of Jews are there
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
I'm a Zionist Jew, I support Israel as a Jewish homeland because 1) I think it's about time Jewish people stop living of Europeans and 2) I don't want Jewish people waiting for another pogrom and being blamed for trying to dominate the world if they achieve places of power.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »
i think its, Orthodox Jews,Conservative Jews,Sefardic Jews,Messianic Jews, Reformist Jews,Baghdadi jews, Mizo Jews,Ethiopian jews.

But i too dont know difference between them. Muman can answer it better.

and IZ, what the heck is Zionist Jew, i think all Jews are Zionist Jews.

um..let me make more sense of this for you Hindu Zionist:

Amongst the Ashkanazi group of Jews you have orthodox and non orthodox
Amongst the Orthodox Jews you have different ideological groups
Amongst the Non-Orthodox Jews you groups such as Reform, Reconstructionist, Conservative

There is no such thing as a Messianic "Jewish" type movement also known as "Jews" for Jesus.  These are not Jewish movements...rather they are "Christian" movements who attempt to fool unknowing Jews to convert to Christianity without realizing it.

Sefardic Jews who are mostly North African, middle eastern, asian, oriental..etc...they don't have orthodox or non orthodox.  Bagdadi, Persian, Indian Ethiopian Jews etc etc...all of those are names of regional traditions and areas that certain Jews come from.

Zionist Jew...well, that makes no sense because by definition, an aspect of Judaism and Torah is Zionism-a hope and return to the homeland.  Therefore, a Jew by definition, should be a "zionist".  There are Jews who are anti-zionist...they are doing the wrong thing.

Dr. Dan which tradition follow Ethopian Jews?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
i have heard a few things about Haredi Jews, and they are too good. I feel majority of the Jews should become Haredi. I'm sorry if i have offended non-Haredics, maybe i dont know much.

does someone have more info about Rabbi Yehuda Deri, he seems to be a great man, Israel needs more such Rabbis!
Hasidim, at least majority of them, are part of the Haredim. The non-Hasidim Ashkenzim, whom are called Litvaks (Lithuaneans) are actually a minority of Haredim, but their lead rabbis are the most influential Ashkenazi rabbis. The Mizrahi/Sefaradi Haredim (from the $ha$ party ) are basically mimicking the Litvaks.

If majority of the Jews would be Haredim, then we would be in big troubles. The Haredim in Israel encourage their men not to serve in the army and not to go to work, but rather dedicate all their time for study. They are depending on state funding and other types of funding form rich Haredim home and abroad. If they increase too much without changing their way of life, our economy would surely collapse.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
i think its, Orthodox Jews,Conservative Jews,Sefardic Jews,Messianic Jews, Reformist Jews,Baghdadi jews, Mizo Jews,Ethiopian jews.

But i too dont know difference between them. Muman can answer it better.

and IZ, what the heck is Zionist Jew, i think all Jews are Zionist Jews.

um..let me make more sense of this for you Hindu Zionist:

Amongst the Ashkanazi group of Jews you have orthodox and non orthodox
Amongst the Orthodox Jews you have different ideological groups
Amongst the Non-Orthodox Jews you groups such as Reform, Reconstructionist, Conservative

There is no such thing as a Messianic "Jewish" type movement also known as "Jews" for Jesus.  These are not Jewish movements...rather they are "Christian" movements who attempt to fool unknowing Jews to convert to Christianity without realizing it.

Sefardic Jews who are mostly North African, middle eastern, asian, oriental..etc...they don't have orthodox or non orthodox.  Bagdadi, Persian, Indian Ethiopian Jews etc etc...all of those are names of regional traditions and areas that certain Jews come from.

Zionist Jew...well, that makes no sense because by definition, an aspect of Judaism and Torah is Zionism-a hope and return to the homeland.  Therefore, a Jew by definition, should be a "zionist".  There are Jews who are anti-zionist...they are doing the wrong thing.

Dr. Dan which tradition follow Ethopian Jews?
They belong to their own tradition. They even call the rabbi "keis". But since they didn't kept the studying of Talmud in Ethiopia they study in mizrahi yeshivot.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »
Thank you.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
There is also something called Reconstructionist which I don't understand at all even though I once had a date with a woman studying for their Rabbinate. 

The difference between Reform and Reconstructionist Jews was explained to me thusly (by a Reconstructionist Rabbi): the Reform Jews are not observant, but they believe in G-d, while the Reconstructionist Jews try to be observant (not as observant as the Orthodox, but not as "anything goes" as the Reform), but they don't believe in G-d. I asked this Rabbi why they bother to be observant if they don't believe in G-d. His answer was that observing the Jewish tradition is meaningful in itself and gives Jews the sense of belonging and structure.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
Its deconstructionists. Not reconstuctionist
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Moshe92

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »
There is also something called Reconstructionist which I don't understand at all even though I once had a date with a woman studying for their Rabbinate. 

The difference between Reform and Reconstructionist Jews was explained to me thusly (by a Reconstructionist Rabbi): the Reform Jews are not observant, but they believe in G-d, while the Reconstructionist Jews try to be observant (not as observant as the Orthodox, but not as "anything goes" as the Reform), but they don't believe in G-d. I asked this Rabbi why they bother to be observant if they don't believe in G-d. His answer was that observing the Jewish tradition is meaningful in itself and gives Jews the sense of belonging and structure.

That doesn't make much sense. Whatever the differences are, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist are all un-Jewish movements. Conservative is at least a little better than Reform and Reconstructionist. Most of my family is Conservative, and at least they don't eat cheeseburgers, eat pork, and go to synagogues where people play instruments on shabbat unlike my Reform relatives.