Author Topic: How many types of Jews are there  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
How many types of Jews are there
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:13:18 PM »
I don't want to offend anyone, I am just asking. I heard of the Kanhanist Jew, Orthodox. Now is there such thing as Zionist Jews. And can you tell me the differences in each type of Jew. (I know very little so plz don't be offended from what I wrote maybe your all the same) I know I haven't spelt Kanhanist correct forgive me.

The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
Re: How many types of Jews are there
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:39:03 PM »
Irish I am sure there are an infinite number of prefixes you could attach to Jews if  you wanted to differentiate finely enough.  Most people who divide up Jews religiously into categories use Orthodox, Conservative and Reform with the categories ranging from most to least observant.  There is also something called Reconstructionist which I don't understand at all even though I once had a date with a woman studying for their Rabbinate. 

Using terms such as Kahanist, Zionist, etc is just putting a philosophy of sorts before Jewish.  It is sort of like dividing Irish people into pro IRA anti IRA pro Provisionalists etc.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »
Kahanist Jews range - from Orthodox to Secular. Kahanism, as a philosophy, although deeply rooted in Torah, is a  voice of common sense and appeals to most normal Jews, across all walks of life, across different political and religious beliefs. I do think, however, that majority of Kahanist Jews are Orthodox, Conservative and Nationalist. I suspect that a number of Kahanist secular Jews would also be significantly greater than Kahanist reform Jews.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:54:58 PM »
Technically there is orthodox and non orthodox jews. That's it
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
There are Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews, I think those are the two biggest ethnic groups. There are also Ethiopian Jews. I'm sure there are more groups.

As for political ideology it seems like they are as diverse as the rest of us. Right wing, left wing, etc

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 06:45:26 AM »
Technically there is orthodox and non orthodox jews. That's it

Let me spread this out a little bit

You have orthodox and non orthodox jews to describe their religiosity

Then you have ashkenazi and sephardic which describe the type of tradition and ethnicity.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
I understand now i think  ;D
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
In Israel we have the following major classifications of religious observing: Secular, Masorty, Observant. All three are nominally orthodox. We also have a division to Ashkenazi, Mizrachi, Yemani traditions. Each of them have a different tradition about how to pronounce and sing the prayers, and there are also few variations in the prayer scrolls and in few other things. 

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »
i think its, Orthodox Jews,Conservative Jews,Sefardic Jews,Messianic Jews, Reformist Jews,Baghdadi jews, Mizo Jews,Ethiopian jews.

But i too dont know difference between them. Muman can answer it better.

and IZ, what the heck is Zionist Jew, i think all Jews are Zionist Jews.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
Two types of divisions, religious and geographical.

I myself though, do not feel it is too productive for JEws to classify themselves based on where their family lived in the Galut.  Israel is the only geographical home of the Jews.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
i think its, Orthodox Jews,Conservative Jews,Sefardic Jews,Messianic Jews, Reformist Jews,Baghdadi jews, Mizo Jews,Ethiopian jews.

But i too dont know difference between them. Muman can answer it better.

and IZ, what the heck is Zionist Jew, i think all Jews are Zionist Jews.

um..let me make more sense of this for you Hindu Zionist:

Amongst the Ashkanazi group of Jews you have orthodox and non orthodox
Amongst the Orthodox Jews you have different ideological groups
Amongst the Non-Orthodox Jews you groups such as Reform, Reconstructionist, Conservative

There is no such thing as a Messianic "Jewish" type movement also known as "Jews" for Jesus.  These are not Jewish movements...rather they are "Christian" movements who attempt to fool unknowing Jews to convert to Christianity without realizing it.

Sephardic Jews who are mostly North African, middle eastern, asian, oriental..etc...they don't have orthodox or non orthodox.  Bagdadi, Persian, Indian Ethiopian Jews etc etc...all of those are names of regional traditions and areas that certain Jews come from.

Zionist Jew...well, that makes no sense because by definition, an aspect of Judaism and Torah is Zionism-a hope and return to the homeland.  Therefore, a Jew by definition, should be a "zionist".  There are Jews who are anti-zionist...they are doing the wrong thing.

Offline joshua

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:28:06 PM »
Dr. Dan, you just helped me put a big piece of the puzzle together in my own understanding of Judaism.

"Zionist Jew...well, that makes no sense because by definition, an aspect of Judaism and Torah is Zionism-a hope and return to the homeland.  Therefore, a Jew by definition, should be a "zionist".  There are Jews who are anti-zionist...they are doing the wrong thing."

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
Dr. Dan, you just helped me put a big piece of the puzzle together in my own understanding of Judaism.

"Zionist Jew...well, that makes no sense because by definition, an aspect of Judaism and Torah is Zionism-a hope and return to the homeland.  Therefore, a Jew by definition, should be a "zionist".  There are Jews who are anti-zionist...they are doing the wrong thing."

i mean, come on!  The Torah goes into depth about Gd's promise to the Jewish people to have a homeland in Eretz Yisrael...For a Jew to be against such a Jewish country makes him making the wrong decision.  That's one of the things Meir Kahane was about and JTF.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »
thank you Dr. Dan, i did not know all this.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:29 PM »
are there Jews identified as Kalbalah Jews? As i found that not all Jews can read Kalbalah. so is there some distinction?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
A Zionist is anyone who believes that a Jewish nation should exist--Jewish or Gentile, secular or religious.

An Orthodox Jew is someone who takes literally all of the commandments of the Torah and Talmud--in short, a devout Jew.

A Kahanist Jew is a Jew who supports the teachings (especially the political ideology) of HaRav Meir David Kahane (zt"l). Kahanists can be either secular or observant (Orthodox), but most of them are religious. There are Kahanist Gentiles too, however.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
are there Jews identified as Kalbalah Jews? As i found that not all Jews can read Kalbalah. so is there some distinction?
I am sure there are people who identify themselves as such. In this age every concept has been deconstucted and abused.

But still there is no sense in such definition. Kabalah is Jewish mysticism. It is not valid as a source to makes rules or judgments. It deals with wither pure isotherics things or sometimes with "magic" like supposedly curing diseases and finding a match.  It is entirely based on faith in the bible, the midrash, and the study of these sources. So for someone to believe in Kaballah and not believe in Judaism is an absurd.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
I am sure there are people who identify themselves as such. In this age every concept has been deconstucted and abused.

But still there is no sense in such definition. Kabalah is Jewish mysticism. It is not valid as a source to makes rules or judgments. It deals with wither pure isotherics things or sometimes with "magic" like supposedly curing diseases and finding a match.  It is entirely based on faith in the bible, the midrash, and the study of these sources. So for someone to believe in Kaballah and not believe in Judaism is an absurd.
Madonna   
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »

What do you mean 'read kabbalah'? Kabbalah simply means the received , oral mystical tradition... Kabbalah means to receive...

There is no such thing as reading kabbalah unless you mean reading Kabbalistic sources..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
Muman you know that traditionally someone has to be versed in the Talmud and pass the age of 40 before he start studying Kabbalah. I am sure that's what HZ means.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
There is also the "traitor kind of kike" called Neturei Karta:
http://www.nkusa.org/  >:(

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
Muman you know that traditionally someone has to be versed in the Talmud and pass the age of 40 before he start studying Kabbalah. I am sure that's what HZ means.

Of course I am aware of this... But I doubt that was what he was referring to... There are many Jews who are over 40 and have studied talmud. It still would not be considered 'reading' kabbalah, but learning kabbalah...

PS: I have been wondering if Rabbi Akiva, who didn't make Teshuva till the age of 40, learned Kabbalah... I am sure that he did but it must have been a struggle with such a late start.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »

What do you mean 'read kabbalah'? Kabbalah simply means the received , oral mystical tradition... Kabbalah means to receive...

There is no such thing as reading kabbalah unless you mean reading Kabbalistic sources..
yes, i meant the sources

now i get it! thank you

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »

Kaballah is a Jewish mystical and even considered secret text that is very very very very deep.  I learned that those who are well versed in Torah and Talmud and over the age of 40 are qualified to learn from it.  Anyone else who tries to read it will not understand it the way it was intended to.

Therefore there is no such thing as a "Kabbalah" Jew.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
i have heard a few things about Haredi Jews, and they are too good. I feel majority of the Jews should become Haredi. I'm sorry if i have offended non-Haredics, maybe i dont know much.

does someone have more info about Rabbi Yehuda Deri, he seems to be a great man, Israel needs more such Rabbis!