Author Topic: Pot legalization gains momentum in California  (Read 10754 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Pot legalization gains momentum in California
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
U will do well in Tzefat

Yes, I hope to find myself there some day soon...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
IZ,

When I smoked it I had none of those effects...

1) I held a good paying job.

2) I learned new programming languages and operating systems.

3) I drove to work and had no tickets or legal problems.

4) I never had asthma or any other breathing related problems.

Maybe I am just a lucky guy but others I know also did not have these effects. I was concerned about memory loss so I tested myself and discovered that my learning ability was improved when I smoked. I would take an encyclopedia and open it to ten random pages, and look at the first entry of each page... I would read the article and then I would ask someone to quiz me about those topics at a later time. In all cases I retained the topic and could remember verbatim what the article said. To me this indicated that my memory was not being lost due to smoking. To this day some people think I have a photographic memory because I usually remember when and where I found various bits of information.

I am tired of arguing about this.

All I can conclude is that everyone has different reactions to substances and drugs.

PS: Thank Hashem that I survived some of the phases of my life. I live each day in awe of this world and must give credit to the Creator of all things... Every day I say blessings on things in my life because I know I don't deserve the great mercy which has been shown to me in this life...

I agree with you Muman, I am tired of this argument and I am in full agreement with you on this subject, it does effect people differently. I know of people who are very well off mentally and financially and they smoke it on ocassion for relaxing.

Shalom - Dox

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »
That doesn't mean that it doesn't affect most people, or that the people who seem not to suffer any ill effects are really not experiencing any. Look at lung cancer for instance--weed isn't filtered so it has a lot more tar.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2009, 08:23:12 PM »
There are also people who need medical marijuana for chronic and debilatating medical conditions, and these people are denied the right to use it, and forced to suffer in agony, or take pain pills with harsh side effects.   Anyone politician against the legalization of medical marijuana will never have my support, not ever!   

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
That doesn't mean that it doesn't affect most people, or that the people who seem not to suffer any ill effects are really not experiencing any. Look at lung cancer for instance--weed isn't filtered so it has a lot more tar.

As I said before there is a lot of confusion in the scientific community about whether or not smoking Marijuana causes cancer... a simple google search comes up with the following:

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

Marijuana Smoke Linked to Cancer
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20090623/marijuana-smoke-linked-to-cancer

Pot Smoking Not Linked to Lung Cancer
Study Shows No Increased Risk for Even the Heaviest Marijuana Smokers
http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer

Marijuana Use in Supportive Care for Cancer Patients
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/marijuana

More Evidence That Marijuana Prevents Cancer
http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/142121/more_evidence_that_marijuana_prevents_cancer/

Study Finds No Link Between Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer
http://www.thoracic.org/sections/publications/press-releases/conference/articles/study-finds-no-link-between-marijuana-use-and-lung-cancer.html

Marijuana use linked to increased risk of testicular cancer
http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2009/02/09/marijuana.html

As you can see there is much confusion even among the doctors and scientists...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
I hope they put it on the ballot and the people vote it down. This would be a huge blow for Marijuana smokers. This of course is assuming the people have enough common sense to vote it down like they did with gay marriages.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »
I hope they put it on the ballot and the people vote it down. This would be a huge blow for Marijuana smokers. This of course is assuming the people have enough common sense to vote it down like they did with gay marriages.

Medical Marijuana was voted on here and it won... And I think, as some others here do, that it is a good thing. As I quoted above there is medical evidence that Marijuana is useful for medical purposes and to deny it to people in pain is wrong. I have a feeling that this is going to pass without any protest from anyone because everyone in California already accepts medical marijuana, and the budget deficit is bad and they need a new source of revenue. There is no comparison between gay marriage and smoking pot... That should be obvious... Our Torah clearly says that Homosexuality is an abomination yet doesn't say anything like that about pot...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »
I think terminal patients should have access to it even if no one else does at the moment. To deny someone with a terminal illness pain relief is ridiculous. It's got to be safer and less addictive than morphine which should be saved for the later stages of a terminal illness.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2009, 05:21:21 AM »
   Calling it medical is a tricky way to bias voters. While terminal patients should be allowed to make certain ethical decisions regarding options to extend their lives, the fact that they are dying should not place them above the law. Just because someone is terminal doesn't mean he should murder and steal or commit small infractions such as littering.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:16 AM »
   Calling it medical is a tricky way to bias voters. While terminal patients should be allowed to make certain ethical decisions regarding options to extend their lives, the fact that they are dying should not place them above the law. Just because someone is terminal doesn't mean he should murder and steal or commit small infractions such as littering.

It's not about extending life. It's about making the passage to death less painful. Terminal means they're going to die of their disease.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »
Muman, THC is known to ease nausea and improve appetite. That's about it. Its other "curative" powers are mythical, to put it gently.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2009, 10:09:28 AM »
Muman, THC is known to ease nausea and improve appetite. That's about it. Its other "curative" powers are mythical, to put it gently.

I posted five or six scientific studies which show that Marijuana has qualities which supress the growth of cancer and you call it a myth... I dont think you looked at the research...

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »

I posted five or six scientific studies which show that Marijuana has qualities which supress the growth of cancer and you call it a myth... I dont think you looked at the research...

That's right about cancer.
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
Who is the imitation Bonesfan?

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
Who is the imitation Bonesfan?

I'm the true Bonesfan, that is a cool show!
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »

It's not about extending life. It's about making the passage to death less painful. Terminal means they're going to die of their disease.

I was referring to Euthanasia. While murder through mercy killings is prohibited by the torah I can understand how someone in the predicament might have to consider a less severe decision. While I'm against them committing suicide, they might have to make a decision that involves death by a natural cause. A cancer patient might be able to live a lot longer by going through Chemotherapy, but this might also degrade the quality of their remaining life. Someone on life support might have to make the decision whether to pull the tubes or spend the rest of their life on life support. In some cases they might even have a %50 chance of surviving. These are tough decisions regardless of what is wrong or right.
   Deciding to smoke pot or break any other law just because someone is dying is not and argument that I buy into.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2009, 02:19:54 AM »
If it was legal, they wouldn't be breaking the law. I think reducing nausea, giving some measure of pain relief, and increasing their desire to eat would probably give more quality to their remaining life. I don't see what's wrong in giving them medicines that would make them more comfortable.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
If it was legal, they wouldn't be breaking the law. I think reducing nausea, giving some measure of pain relief, and increasing their desire to eat would probably give more quality to their remaining life. I don't see what's wrong in giving them medicines that would make them more comfortable.

Because Marijuana is not the only or the most effective drug that someone can obtain. It is smoked for social purposes. Personally, I'm not against someone taking drugs in a controlled environment such as a hospital under the correct conditions, but given the nature of Marijuana, people who are not terminal are going to find ways to qualify. Then they are going to start smoking it in clubs and public places where general smoking is illegal. G-d forbid someone asks them to stop, there will be discrimination law suits.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »

Because Marijuana is not the only or the most effective drug that someone can obtain. It is smoked for social purposes. Personally, I'm not against someone taking drugs in a controlled environment such as a hospital under the correct conditions, but given the nature of Marijuana, people who are not terminal are going to find ways to qualify. Then they are going to start smoking it in clubs and public places where general smoking is illegal. G-d forbid someone asks them to stop, there will be discrimination law suits.

I agree with Ruby Stars.  There is a person in my life with chronic, and a very painful disease that needs medical marijuana to help alleviate the pain. And I don't give a dammm what anybody here says, I mean anybody, about their problems with legalizing medical marijuana.   I don't care about your issues with it!   I get pretty emotional when people try to lay their crap on me, when some someone I love dearly, is in chronic pain. 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »

I agree with Ruby Stars.  There is a person in my life with chronic, and a very painful disease that needs medical marijuana to help alleviate the pain. And I don't give a dammm what anybody here says, I mean anybody, about their problems with legalizing medical marijuana.   I don't care about your issues with it!   I get pretty emotional when people try to lay their crap on me, when some someone I love dearly, is in chronic pain. 
Some time back I worked with a person that came down with heart and Kidney failure. If this wasn't enough in the last year of his life he also developed cancer. He found that pot helped him with the pain and also increased his appetite. His children and grand children would buy it from the local dealers because he was not able to get it through legal means. He was lucky enough to have childred and grandchildren willing to do this for him however what is a sick person to do when the people around them are unwilling to do so. Why should this substance not be used as any other prescription drug when prescribed by a doctor if its helpful to the sick and dying.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »

Some time back I worked with a person that came down with heart and Kidney failure. If this wasn't enough in the last year of his life he also developed cancer. He found that pot helped him with the pain and also increased his appetite. His children and grand children would buy it from the local dealers because he was not able to get it through legal means. He was lucky enough to have childred and grandchildren willing to do this for him however what is a sick person to do when the people around them are unwilling to do so. Why should this substance not be used as any other prescription drug when prescribed by a doctor if its helpful to the sick and dying.

Thanks CDJ. 

Anybody interested in learning about the latest in  legislation for the legalization of marijuana across the country, needs to check this website:
http://norml.org/

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »
I'd do anything for my family if they were in pain like that. I wouldn't even know where to go to get the stuff but I'd find out.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
Tim Lincecum of the San Francisco Giants was arrested for pot.

Offline Iron Greek

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2009, 05:30:19 AM »
I believe this country has alot more to worry about than the fight against marijuana! I support legalization of marijuana! I think they should take all the money they are using to fight pot and aim that into securing our borders and deporting illegal aliens!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2009, 07:06:11 AM »
I think regular cigarettes are worse than pot because people tend to smoke more cigarettes and get addicted to them.