Author Topic: Help gaining weight, i'm having problems  (Read 4480 times)

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
Re: Help gaining weight, i'm having problems
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »
If you really want to gain weight, eat hot homemade bread.

4 to 7 cups flour
4 eggs beaten
2 packages yeast dissolved with 2 tablespoons of water
1 stick of butter melted
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of scalded whole milk
1/4 cup of sugar

1. Beat eggs with melted butter, sugar, cooled milk and yeast.
2. Add salt to 4 cups of flour and sift well.
3. Add the beaten egg mixture to the flour and mix till it becomes rubbery.
4. Place flour on a clean table or counter.
5. place ball of dough on flour and start kneading for 10 minutes.
6. When dough ball starts getting like rubber and making popping sounds
the dough is ready to place into a bowl with a bit of butter on the bottom.
7. cover bowl with clean towel and let the bread rise until doubled in size.
8. when bread has risen, punch it down..shape into a ball again and let it rise
a second time.
9. after the second rise -  take pieces of the dough, roll it into any shape you like
and place on a baking sheet and let it rise again.
10. bake at 330 degrees until bread is golden brown. bake time for loaves is 30 minutes, 20 minutes for rolls.

after 10 minutes in the oven, glaze the breads with egg wash, or melted butter.
To make egg wash you beat one egg white with a teaspoon of water.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 10:20:57 PM »
I forgot to ask...have you asked your Doctor to check for celiacs disease? From what I know it's an allergy to gluten. One of the symptoms is weight loss.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
Amen to the whole milk--I don't drink any other kind Dox.  ;D

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »

^5 to whole Milk ...I also drink that. Why bother with a watered down version?

nonfat milk tastes like milk flavored water.

Moshe92

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
I personally prefer skim milk. I think that milk with any fat tastes disgusting.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »
I personally prefer skim milk. I think that milk with any fat tastes disgusting.

To each there own

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »
It could be a thyroid issue.   Please ask a doctor, tell him your symptoms and see what he says.   That is a huge amount of weight loss.  If it continues, that can be very dangerous, or is a sign of something else dangerous going on in your system.  So please get it checked out and the doctors will know what to do to treat it.

The only abnormal thing that would really cause sudden and drastic weight loss is advanced cancer, and I think he would know if he had that.  

Not true.  First of all, a person may not know they have cancer, even if it is advanced, but regardless of that, several diseases cause weight loss.    Hyperthyroidism is one of them.

Otherwise it is much better to be losing than gaining weight under almost all circumstances.

No, rapid weight loss in a very short period of time as he describes is dangerous.  It has nothing to do with weight gain which is something else entirely, nor does it have to do with a person losing 15 pounds over 6 months by dieting or trying to lose it.  When a person eats the same, or has the same appetite, does not exercise to lose weight, and then rapidly drops weight, it is dangerous.

Even the thyroid issue is generally pretty easily treatable if that indeed is what it is.

As with most afflictions, only someone who doesn't have it can say something like this.   But like most afflictions, when diagnosis is delayed, it causes very serious complications and makes the situation more dangerous than it has to be.

There is no point in dilly dallying over a very serious situation.  It will only make things worse for the longterm.  The best course of action is to tell the doctor exactly what's happening and ask his advice.  And see more than one doctor if need be, to make sure the diagnosis is correct.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
5ft10? Then 190 is an okay weight, you're definitely not too skinny at this point, 

He lost 70 pounds in 2 months.  That is not normal and not safe.   He needs to get that checked out to make sure nothing is wrong, or if there is something wrong God forbid, then to treat it appropriately.

But like I mentioned before, if the rapid weight loss and lethargy persists, absolutely go to the doctor!

It has already persisted enough if what he describes has taken place and exists as of today, he already needs to go to the doctor.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 10:36:56 PM »

^5 to whole Milk ...I also drink that. Why bother with a watered down version?

nonfat milk tastes like milk flavored water.

I find whole milk tastes too thick.  I like 1% milk, and it is also healthier because it has less fat in it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »
From "wrongdiagnosis.com" about Lethargy:

Diagnosis Checklist: Associated symptoms your doctor may ask about (and why!) Sometimes, other symptoms may be present and may help your doctor analyse your condition. The symptoms your doctor may ask about (in association with Lethargy) may include

Weight loss? - must consider cancer, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, malnutrition, gut malabsorption and chronic infectious disease (e.g. tuberculosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis).

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/lethargy.htm

So, whatever it is, the doc will know what to do to take care of it, so don't worry.  The important thing is to get at it right away because that gives you the best chances of treating it fully without complications and before it develops into a more extensive problem that might harder to treat.   

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 10:52:27 PM »
Its STRESS for G-d sakes. After all you been going through. Let the doctor check you out to be sure nothing else is going on and just relax a bit. Eat normally and don't try to regain the weight... The proportions you describe don't sound unhealthy however just be sure nothing is wrong that continues to cause you to loose weight. Get a good doctor to review your medications to be sure that your getting the right stuff.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
Unless you are 7 feet tall what is why would you feel too light at 190?
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
Unless you are 7 feet tall what is why would you feel too light at 190?

Because 2 months ago he weighed 260.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 11:11:10 PM »
Because 2 months ago he weighed 260.<<

Maybe he was too heavy then.  On the other hand I guess if somebody is losing weight without trying they should look into why that is happening.  I had an in law who was losing weight and not hungry after having a brain tumor removed.  I thought something was odd about that and a few months later it came out that he had an aggressive melanoma and was dead shortly afterward.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »
Because 2 months ago he weighed 260.<<

Maybe he was too heavy then.  On the other hand I guess if somebody is losing weight without trying they should look into why that is happening.  I had an in law who was losing weight and not hungry after having a brain tumor removed.  I thought something was odd about that and a few months later it came out that he had an aggressive melanoma and was dead shortly afterward.

No maybe about it, 260 is WAY to heavy for a 5'10" frame.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »
When one of  my relatives had trouble keeping weight on, the nurse told us to give her Ensure mixed with ice cream. That put the weight on again. I hope that helps.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »
I wonder if it's my kidney problem, that bactrim doesn't do crap, maybe i'm not retaining water.

First off going from 260-190 in 2 months is not very good at all. Also why are you on bactrim for? Its a strong antibiotic, I was on it and it didn't kill my appetite. But everyone is different. If you are looking to gain weight may I suggest foods thats low in fiber?

That much weight in that time is not bad because Last year I went from 298 to 247 in 1 week

Did you lose that much weight from working out or were you in sick?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »
KahaneWasRight,

Certainly this should be checked out, but whatever the cause it is healthier for him to be at his current weight than 260, especially as a male, since men primarily store fat around the abdomen, which is the most dangerous place to store it.

White Israelite has been through a whole lot lately; I am not an MD, but a lot of this probably has to do with both his general state of mind and the medications he's been on, neither of which are good for the body. I think those should be ruled out before assuming a "nightmare" scenario. We also do not know exactly how much he is eating and what that means without a caloric count. +-2000 calories/day is what is needed to maintain weight for an average male under average circumstances. He could be eating a lot of very low-calorie food, or eating a lot but rarely, or eating frequently but very, very little. We really need more information here.

The absolute worst case scenario, advanced metastatic cancer, would more than likely be causing more symptoms than fatigue and weight loss--like severe pain and obvious organ failure. Same with a serious glandular disease like Addison's--his heart would be always racing, he would be hot, and very excited and uncomfortable. Celiac disease and other digestive disorders would probably result in some sort of diarrhea and vomiting. I suppose he could have a bad case of tapeworms, but unless he has recently been to a third-world country, that is unlikely.

Hyper- or hypothyroidism, if there is not a thyroid tumor involved, is among the least severe of hormonal imbalances to treat. It involves simple bloodwork and corresponding amounts of the corrective medication, which I understand is among the cheapest of all synthetic hormones.

As for the milk, to each his own in terms of taste, but I don't believe that G-d would create unhealthy basic ingredients for us to eat (whole milk). Saturated, or animal, fat has gotten a completely unwarranted bad rap over the years thanks to heavy lobbying by the soybean industry and its flunkies in the "medical" establishment" on behalf of the various synthetic lipid substances it has promoted. There is nothing inherently bad or unhealthy about heavy animal fats--they are just very calorie-dense. They are not somehow magically worse for your heart than other lipids.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2009, 12:42:27 AM »
Is there a doctor in the house?

I serious don't like all this speculation whether it is cancer... Chas V'Shalom!

Really, instead of worrying like this, is it so hard to see a doctor? It would be best for WI and for everyone here. I have worried so much about so many people, I would like to know that the worry is worth the worry...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:45 AM »
Whole milk isn't unhealthy in a society where people eat less in general and are more active, but in a sedentary society that's also prone to a diet high in fat and sugar, skim milk makes more sense for most people health wise.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 12:56:51 AM »
I am chatting with him right now, trying to tell him to get to a doctor immediately. It does sound very serious from what he is saying.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
Drink beer or coke. Will bloat you up.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
I wonder if it's my kidney problem, that bactrim doesn't do crap, maybe i'm not retaining water.

First off going from 260-190 in 2 months is not very good at all. Also why are you on bactrim for? Its a strong antibiotic, I was on it and it didn't kill my appetite. But everyone is different. If you are looking to gain weight may I suggest foods thats low in fiber?

That much weight in that time is not bad because Last year I went from 298 to 247 in 1 week

Did you lose that much weight from working out or were you in sick?
No I was not sick I was just working.
16 hours days for 7 days you do the math.
I barely ate food that week

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
I need help gaining weight, I been trying to eat as much as I can since I got out of the hospital and I been dropping weight way too fast, i'm already down to 190 (i was 260 about 2 months ago) and down to a size 36 (which are not even fitting me now, I used to wear a 42). I been trying to eat junk food or whatever I can and now i'm down to 190 pounds, starting to worry me. I haven't been working out or active either. Any suggestions?

This MAY be a sign of something else.  YOU HAVE TO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!  (Just in case)

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
KahaneWasRight,

Certainly this should be checked out, but whatever the cause it is healthier for him to be at his current weight than 260, especially as a male, since men primarily store fat around the abdomen, which is the most dangerous place to store it.

You're missing the point.  It is healthier to eat less and maintain an appropriate BMI.  Of course that is the case.    What is NOT healthy is a RAPID weight loss in a very short period of time.  Especially coupled with the fact that he was not at all trying to lose weight, it is an indication that something may be wrong.    So it needs to be checked out.   Hopefully it's nothing, but it needs to be checked out.   Anyone in this thread who is discouraging him from getting it checked out, either due to their own anecdotal experience or that of someone they know, or some recipe to improve immune system, or whatever other unrelated advices... Anyone discouraging Meir from getting this checked out by a doctor is doing him a disservice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:07:33 AM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »