Author Topic: Advice Please My brother just proposed to a [Non-Jew]  (Read 2905 times)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Advice Please My brother just proposed to a [Non-Jew]
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »
Shalom JTFers

Plese come back to me with advice. My brother just proposed to to a Non Jew I am very very upset I just spoke to his Chabad Rabbi who lives only 2 miles from the Rabbi. I got really pissed at him he messaged me on MSN messenger to tell me the (Good) news. I got really pissed. Please come back at me with something practile.

:'( >:( :(
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Advice Please My brother just proposed to a [Non-Jew]
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that, David. 

Do your parents know?  What do they think?  What kind of Jewish education did your brother receive?  How old is your brother? 

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
I don't even know if my parents know. He runined the end of my Purim by messaging me online. He got the same education as me a little a little hebrew and reform sunday school. he is 22
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
Like Lisa mentioned,   I'm sorry about the difficult situation.

One suggestion that immediately comes to mind is to mention the situation on the next "Ask JTF" program.     Chaim's input might prove helpful for you ( and your family )   and others listening to the program.       Not just for Jews but for Righteous Gentiles who hear his response.     
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »
This is terrible, in many ways. All that I can think is that if she gets mad, she will call him a kike or a dirty Jew.  This is sad. Is she willing to convert, or AT LEAST be accepting of his faith? I dont even know what to say, there is so much Jew hate out there, this makes me upset.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:44:10 PM »
It's wrong for people of different religions to marry because it creates disharmony in the home and a husband and wife should have the same beliefs on most issues in order to form a united family. I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

Does your brother know that if he has children with a non-Jewish woman that his children will not be Jewish? Maybe he isn't aware of that?

It's really good when Jewish people have a lot of Jewish babies to make up for the horrible things that were done to their people in the past.

There should be many more Jews in the world today than there are. There are a lot of missing Jews and this is a horrible crime that was done to the Jewish people. It makes me sad to know that some people who could have Jewish children are choosing to have non-Jewish children instead and giving up their own identity in the process.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
You can't tell your brother what to do, so try pumping values into him and he might reach the right conclusions. Besides 22 is too young, I bet their union won't even get to the chupa figuratively in this cawse...) and if by a long shot they do, their union won't last long.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »
I wish i knew what to tell you but like Rubystars said it can be very problematic
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
As zelhar said you really can't tell him what to do and arguing with him about it will only strain the relationship with your brother. Try talking to him and remind him of some of the pitfalls ahead for him in that sort of marrage. I know its not the right progression of things but who knows the girl may be willing to convert. As others have said in this thread give the situation some time unless he is getting married quickly the the relationship may cool and he may reevaluate what he is getting himself into.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
David,

22 sounds very young for a man to get married.  What kind of work does your brother do?  Will it be enough at his age to support a wife and future children?  That's something to remind him of.  How long has he known this woman?  Where did the two meet?  Has anyone in your family met the young woman? 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »
If he has a Chabad rabbi, he knows the depth and severity of his decision to marry outside of the faith.  This suggests to me that he truly loves her.  He has contemplated this marriage under less than ideal circumstances.  I think when family members do things we disagree with, we can roll with it, for better or worse, and love them through it OR we can become hysterical and selfishly contemplate how this affects us.

I say go with number one.  It doesn't mean you approve.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:51:11 PM by JTFenthusiast2 »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
I've been in this situation before from experience and I think that if it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be. We have to listen to G-ds word and I've gone through some painful breakups before as a result. It's very easy to fall in love with someone but we were told specifically not to intermarry because G-d intended for us to stay with each other.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:06:23 PM by White Israelite »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:50:27 PM »
My sympathies ....

Try to explain that it is important to be a Jew and that if he marries a non Jew he will break the legacy of your family. There is hope if she is willing to convert {and I accept this option because of personal experience}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
I second Muman's input as well.  It gives perspective without being angry and in his face.  It presents a reality that he should have to contemplate

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »
Say 22 is too young and that he should wait until he is at least 25.  By the time he is 25 he will have a completely different perspective on life.

Good luck.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
22 sounds very young for a man to get married.

I semi-agree.  I have known very religious people who get married at 18 or 19 and it works.  I believe the typical age of marriage among Orthodox Jews is younger than the general population.  People who have a very strong religious foundation and deep commitment to live a righteous life can make a marriage work.

For anyone else, though - and that would include the man being discussed here - I would never recommend getting married before 25, and if you don't plan to have kids, not until you're in your 30s.  In this man's case, there is every likelihood that his marriage won't last 5 years.  That is simply a sad statistic.

What's the rush?  They can be a couple for a few years - no harm done.

People who marry young and are not very religious are typically people trying to fulfill some need in their life.  You might help him do some soul-searching.  So many young people are empty vessels who think getting married to another empty vessel will bring meaning to their lives.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:11:29 AM »
I wanted to marry when I was 22, but only to a righteous Christian woman. I am very sorry to hear of this, David, but it seems to me like your brother is just very rebellious and doesn't give a damn about his faith and his heritage.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 05:58:49 AM »
I'm going to be brutal about this. You and your family do everything you can to prevent this from happening. However, do it very cautiously.  A man in love is not a man you want to frontal force at.  Also, you have time on your side. I don't know the values of your family, however he is only 22!  Good thing he's not 42.

First, know who your brother is.  Is he rebellious?  Is he passionate? Is he obedient?
Know who is girlfriend is?  Is she a witch?  Is she sweet?  Is she the jealous type? What are her parents like?  Are they for this or against this?  If they are against it for the same reasons your family would be, then you have allies that can help.

Pardon me for this, but is your brother a horny toad? Do his eyes wander when pretty girls walk by?  Has he ever been single for a long time with lots of girlfriends? I doubt it since he's only 22. 

How long has your brother been dating this girl?

I'm 32 and have been married for a year...it's a different world, this marriage thing.  There is a time when you are ready and should do it and a time that you really shouldn't do it. It requires a type of maturity that is hard to pinpoint.  A marriage can end quickly once the bells and whistles of it become reality.  In the beginning it is "Ladeeda"...but once married it's permanent...and then the fights can ensue and who knows...a younger immature man and woman can cheat potentially...

and financially it's very difficult...can't imagine what a 22 year old can pull off.  You don't just get married and move into a smelly shack and let love do it's thing.  And what if she gets pregnant and they're not ready, then they'll go on welfare like all the Shvartzas..oye!

you have to think about how you are going to approach this...the last thing you want to do is at the attempt of breaking them up, they run away and disappear together.

And for those of you hear you who said she should convert, I say, "no way, Jose!"  It doesn't work like that in Judaism.

I have so many questions to ask you about your brother and his girlfriend. P.M. me and we'll talk.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:13:42 AM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 06:04:09 AM »
I don't even know if my parents know. He runined the end of my Purim by messaging me online. He got the same education as me a little a little hebrew and reform sunday school. he is 22

I'm so sorry to hear this, David.  This is terrible.   I hope I won't have to face a similar situation with my brother.   Are there any rabbis at your yeshiva who can offer you a good advice?   Anticipating what might happen in my family (G-d forbid), I have already learned from my gemara rebbe that it is forbidden for me to express any approval of an intermarriage.   As for practical advice, I don't know.   I hope I won't also have to be asking the same question one of these days.   

What can really be done at this point?   He's already proposed?   You can tell him you're against it, try to get him to reconsider, but unfortunately something this far along, he probably won't listen.

Offline ChaimBenMordechai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
I knew a guy who was dating a shiksa. The were together for about a year until she told him that she wanted to be with a nice catholic boy. She left him for a guy who originally was planning to go into the priesthood. He told her to dump my friend and she did. My friend was a mess. Only one thing went thru my mind: a shiksa bleibt a shiksa.

Sad thing is that he was so messed up from what she did to him he assaulted her new beau. Wasn't worth it; shikses never are.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »

22? He won't marry her. To young and still crazy, at 22 (she's the same age if not younger?) they'll be lucky to finish out the summer before having a massive fight and breaking up, possibly with her throwing the ring at him in dramatic flair.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
Call the Yad Lachim and seek their help/advice. I'm sure they have ideas.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »

Who is Yah L'Chiam??
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »

Who is Yah L'Chiam??
יד לאחים Yad LeAchim is an Israeli anti-msionary/anti-assimilation organisation (a charedi organisation as far as I know). They rescue Jewish woman from Arab villages and help them to come back to their families and faith. But in your case I don't think they can help you, except maybe in giving you advice on how to speak to your brother.

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
maybe you can find that article about the founders of reform Judaism and how like 99% intermarried.

If someone can find a link to that study please post it here.