General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

ask normal atheist

<< < (2/15) > >>

muman613:

--- Quote from: normal atheist on May 03, 2010, 12:41:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: Irish Zionist on May 03, 2010, 12:17:08 PM ---Are you really an atheist?
If so when did you become one and why?
Also were you always an atheist?
If not what religion did you follow?

--- End quote ---
1) yes i am realy an atheist,i am actually a hard core one and had many debates about G-d's existence.
2)i become atheist in the age of 10 six years ago.i was recognised as a gifted by the ministry of education two years ago and i was in love with science (metaphoricaly) :laugh: i read my first book of steven howking ''Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays'' and in the begining i there was a chapter on that discussed the existence of G-d.hawking said that from a scientific point of view the existence of G-d is an open question,must like bigfoot.i had only the habit of dissmissing this option as unreal unless prove otherwise and so i am naturally became an atheist and since then this is part of my conciosness.
3)no i am an atheist for only six years.
4)before my ''conversion'' to atheism i was a secular /traditionalist jew,.
sincerely,normal atheist.

--- End quote ---

Im so sorry to hear that... You are still young and there is no reason to believe you will believe the silly things you believe when you are 16... Heck I had some very far out ideas when I was that age... I too was a child prodigee who was self-employed in the computer field at the age of 16... I appeared on the television show 20/20 in 1982 when I was 17 years old and they called me a Computer Whiz kid...

There is always time to do teshuva for a Jew... I will reserve judging you till you grow up..

Zelhar:
You are not really an atheist but a fool. Basically you describe your path to atheism as: Someone who is really smart at math and science is an atheist and so I will be one too. And since you are "in love" with science, you should study real science rather than popular science book.

Zenith:
I am not a jew - I wanted to mention in "Introduce yourself" but I forgot - anyway... my words may be useful...

--- Quote ---well i am 16 years old, ...
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---1) yes i am realy an atheist,i am actually a hard core one and had many debates about G-d's existence.
2)i become atheist in the age of 10 six years ago.i was recognised as a gifted by the ministry of education two years ago and i was in love with science
--- End quote ---

well, if you have 16 years old and until now you concluded that G-d cannot exist, then consider that you may have 44-54 years to keep thinking about it (depending on how long you live). I say this bec. you are still young and very many people use to get to a point when they say "the truth is this. RESOLVED." and refuse after to think about it, or at least with seriousness.

Also there is a lot of trouble with "seeking the truth" about life as life is not math, where you have a hypothesis, you check something for validity and demonstrate it, and all agree. In life nothing is 100% clear & obvious and even if it was there would still be people who would get to other conclusions (isn't that odd?). And now I don't speak about mentally ill people.

another thing - even the greatest mathematician ever, or the greatest biologist ever, or even the smartest man ever (whichever the age he lived in) has/had things which he sees wrong, wrong points of view, get to some wrong conclusions (also, sometimes, that may even not be a problem in reason). But people easily take other people for gods (that is, a kind of "whatever he says/does, he is right" as he would be perfect/divine). So my advice would be, if you take it, don't expect anyone to be right because "he is smart, and I trust his judgement", and avoid having "heroes" (people that you greatly admire).

I hope my words are welcomed.
Shalom.

Rubystars:
I read black holes and baby universes a few years ago and I also thought it was a great book. :) Stephen Hawking is a brilliant scientist and I think that science in general and physics in particular owe a lot to him.

I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss God. The Bible is not a science book but that doesn't mean that God couldn't have worked through natural processes to create the universe, or in any other way.

The Bible does say that light is the first thing God created. Every atom is made up of smaller particles which are actually tightly packed waves of energy when you get down to the smallest levels. Matter and energy can be converted to each other. These waves of energy are similar to light in the fact that they have a wavelength and can also function as a particle. It doesn't prove God but it's one thing to ponder if you sincerely have an open mind about it.

Take brane theory for example. If the Big Bang occurred because of two colliding branes then that just strengthens the case in two ways. First, there doesn't need to be a beginning for God. Each brane has its own space-time fabric and even within a brane, time varies due to gravity. God can be eternal with no contradictions with science. Second, there is a definite beginning to this particular universe/brane. That's in contradiction to such ideas as the old steady state theory, etc. which claimed things have always been as they are.

There are some people who reject some portions of science because they feel that it doesn't mesh with the Bible. I actually believe that science is exploring the creation and I don't think that any scientific theory should outright be rejected on that basis, but only on the basis of the evidence. If people really believe the Bible is true, then evidence-based reasoning should not cause fear but should strengthen their faith.

Science can't prove or disprove God. However we can definitely say, as Hawking did, that it's an open question. I think personally that it's reasonable to believe in God regardless of the fact that God can't be proven with science alone.

Ben m:
to all the psoters here.first i want to thank you for your open mindness.i understand why you dislike or even despise atheist,i am myself get sick when i hear some of them speaking in public.but not all atheists are liberals or communists and it doesn't mean we can't appreciate religious persons.i am myself an admire or rabbi kahane and i think he was one of the most prominent persomn of the 20th century and i am considering my self very close to kahanism in view expect for the religous part,i don't hate religious people nor trying to convert others to atheism.i do belive nthat if god truly exist he will accept you if you are a good and honorable person regardless if you belived him or not in your life (i don't think he is so childish).for zehar,popular science is not contradicted with what you called ''real science''.it is a real science simplified so the average reader can understand them and steven hawking was a genius in this field (and in physics,i realy enjoyed reading his books it was so enlightening).if sombody here is the fool it is you beacuse you show disprove of not just controversies but of scientific fact,and yes for those who want to know i read thie book (i don't remeber the name or the book nor the name of the author but it is quite famous) that prove that a lot of scientific stuff was wrriten in the torah and talmud which is another way to describe our great culture and the importance of genetical purity.to rubystar,thank you for reminded me about the membranes theory.i quite forgot it since i eneter physics class in 7th grade.
sincerily,normal atheist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version