Author Topic: stocks are crashing  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
stocks are crashing
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »
Freddy Mac and Fannie May have also been downgraded...more to follow...

Good thing I got out of the stock market 2-3 weeks ago before it all started going downhill.  Waiting till it hits rock bottom again to buy some stocks at a bargain..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: stocks are crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
You think right but don't forget you never know when the bottom is reached at real time.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »
Baruch Hashem my companies stock is weathering this storm at this time... Still up 5cents...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
No need to worry.  Our president has spoken and told us we need to spend more.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
No need to worry.  Our president has spoken and told us we need to spend more.

Are you sure he didn't say that the government needs to spend more... That seems to be his answer to everything... Government spending will not turn things around... The only solution is to put more people to work by giving an incentive to hiring and reducing corporate taxes to increase corporate spending.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
I'll be waiting at the end of the week to see where we are before I reconsider buying anything.  It's a highly volatile market and my strategy is not to over gamble...you buy 100 shares of something like netflix, let's say..it goes up 10 points, you sell it...it goes down again 10 points, you buy it..it goes up 10 points again and you sell it again..it only works with google, apple, netflix, linked, maybe goldman sachs...

but really...my advice is that if you are interested, watch these stocks' trends before you risk it.  Sometimes these jumps don't happen over night.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
I'll be waiting at the end of the week to see where we are before I reconsider buying anything.  It's a highly volatile market and my strategy is not to over gamble...you buy 100 shares of something like netflix, let's say..it goes up 10 points, you sell it...it goes down again 10 points, you buy it..it goes up 10 points again and you sell it again..it only works with google, apple, netflix, linked, maybe goldman sachs...

but really...my advice is that if you are interested, watch these stocks' trends before you risk it.  Sometimes these jumps don't happen over night.
So It seems you don't believe in fundamentals ? I think that now is the time to pick up on the chip stakes in businesses you believe in. You buy a chunk, if it keeps dropping, buy some more. It's not that I am optimistic or "long" on America and Europe. But I believe that the economy never completely dies unless you physically destroy the population. Look even in post war Germany and Japan you could probably pick up stocks like Toyota and BMW etc and over time they created huge value which was more then a compensation for the bad stocks that went bust.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »

Did Chairman Obama stop to blame Bush for this?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
Did Chairman Obama stop to blame Bush for this?

I didn't hear his speech except I overheard him talking about Afghanistan. So he probably did blame bush indirectly (it's because of the wars, that's why we have economic troubles).

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »
This trouble is just before 2012, this is the real trouble.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Freddy Mac and Fannie May have also been downgraded...more to follow...

Good thing I got out of the stock market 2-3 weeks ago before it all started going downhill.  Waiting till it hits rock bottom again to buy some stocks at a bargain..

Glad to hear u got out.  What prompted you , how did u know to do it?

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »
I'm currently out of the market but I have a friend who lost 50% of his stock's value this week...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »
Glad to hear u got out.  What prompted you , how did u know to do it?

I'm no prophet...however all this talk about double dip got me thinking when it could be done.

In late July, there was a day when Google stock went up 67 points.  Knowing that the debt ceiling deadline was coming soon and that I made the amount of money I was targeting with some of my stocks, I said to myself, "Sell it all and get out."  For one week stocks kept going up and I thought, "It's all good..."  Then the debt ceiling thing happened and was bad the way it happened....hence everything thereafter fell and it will keep falling. I will not buy anything until this Friday and revisit what's going on.

I learned from 2008-2009 what happened when things fell badly at that time.  I had to do my own stimulus funding with my stock account.  So I pumped more money in, bought stocks that I owned when it was low.  Then I noticed a trend with volatile stocks like Google, Apple, Amazon, Goldman Sachs.  They would go up in a matter of one week 10-15 points and then drop 10 to 15 points.  So I took advantage and would make $1000 or more on these stocks..take a profit...after awhile it would take a few months for the same thing to happen until most recently that I said to myself, "It will go up and once it does, I'm getting rid of everything...it will fall again big time August 10th and I'll put a buy at such and such a price for this stock and that stock." Well, the drops happened sooner.  I cancelled all of my limit buys for August 10th.  Apple and google are still too high.  I think apple will fall below 200-250...not as low as 2008 below 90.  Google will fall down to below 350-400; not 279 which was its lowest in early 2009.  Netflix is another volatile stock. I don't know what will happen.  At worst it could fall below 100 like apple did.  Right now that stock is too high.  Linkedn another new stock that is pretty volatile, I think that will fall to below 60. 

RIMM and MON were stocks that I owned in 2008-9 that were volatile, but don't seem to do much anymore.

Exxon is at 70 something now, if I heard correctly.  Oil when cheap is a good buy in my opinion.  If anyone gets oil and makes a profit on it, use the proceeds for JTF.

Bank stocks are not going to do much for awhile once they hit their bottom.  If someone wants long term, buy low and let it sit.

After the bottom is reached, I'm not sure what will happen next to be honest.  Things will rebound and slowly go up again. However, there might be a triple dip in 2012 around election time.

Again, I'm only speculating. My expertise is in dentistry and periodontics. 

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
Stock are bouncing up today. What's your thought Dr Dan, do you call yesterday the bottom or today is just a dead cat bounce ?

Offline Neptun

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
Do you guys know the real reason for the Economic collapse of the world economy?

What does this tell you about the economy?

INCREASE IN U.S. MONEY SUPPLY (M3)
2004-2007

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:48:36 AM by Neptun »
Freedom is not given, it is taken, either by tyrants or you the public!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
Stock are bouncing up today. What's your thought Dr Dan, do you call yesterday the bottom or today is just a dead cat bounce ?

I'm not a prophet. I don't think there is a reason to make yesterday the bottom.  Some people saw bargains and they bought and it wouldn't have been the wrong thing to do. If I had bought yesterday, I would have sold again today now at this point.  Bottom line, the US and world economy doesn't look great...

I'm going to guess around later on this week there will be another drop.. On friday, I would reevaluate the situation. Ideally, it would be nice to see a huge drop happen on Friday and buy at that point.

again..it's just speculation..i only look at these things as a trend and nothing more...People who lost yesterday are trying to make up for it today.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
It tells me that because the world population has gotten much bigger and therefore there is more paper money to go around therefore inflation.  Gold is always gold.  The price of money has gone down because there is a lot of worthless paper money going around.

There is an unbalance of where the actual money is.  The oil producing muslim nazi nations have a lot of that money and are putting it to waste and not into producing more into the economy.  A lot of ridiculously rich wealthy people especially the large corporations are holding on to their money because of the instability of the world economy.

Do you guys know the real reason for the Economic collapse of the world economy?

What does this tell you about the economy?

INCREASE IN U.S. MONEY SUPPLY (M3)
2004-2007

Offline Neptun

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
I agree with: Too much paper is being printed.

Do you know how banks work(Fractional Reserve Banking)?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
I agree too much paper is being printed.

Do you know how bank works(Fractional Reserve Banking)?

I"m not an economist, so no.  However there are a lot of people with money, since 2008-9 that are holding on to it...and the same I think will happen now if the double dip is for real, which I think it is.   People with money create the economy and jobs.  If they are scared to use it, no jobs, no economy and just downhill because the world governments spend money they don't have to redistribute everything for "free" to other people so they can stay in power. It's unethical if you ask me.

The answer to correct this are leaders who are not in power for the sake of power, but in power to help his/her people...and the best way to help your people is by encouraging creating jobs and spending wisely...and not doing things for "free" except for national defense and helping the elderly and handicap and maybe the poor briefly if they can get out of their situation.  But how do you get there?  Morality, Belief in Gd, and Patriotism.  If you have that in the schools, homes, and TV shows, prosperity will follow, with Gd's help.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
I took my money from Rochester about 5 yrs ago and put into gold :)
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Neptun

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
I"m not an economist, so no.  However there are a lot of people with money, since 2008-9 that are holding on to it...and the same I think will happen now if the double dip is for real, which I think it is.   People with money create the economy and jobs.  If they are scared to use it, no jobs, no economy and just downhill because the world governments spend money they don't have to redistribute everything for "free" to other people so they can stay in power. It's unethical if you ask me.

The answer to correct this are leaders who are not in power for the sake of power, but in power to help his/her people...and the best way to help your people is by encouraging creating jobs and spending wisely...and not doing things for "free" except for national defense and helping the elderly and handicap and maybe the poor briefly if they can get out of their situation.  But how do you get there?  Morality, Belief in Gd, and Patriotism.  If you have that in the schools, homes, and TV shows, prosperity will follow, with Gd's help.

I work with high end business, but I'm not an economist either. You don't need to be that to understand Fractional Reserve Banking.

It is basically a huge scam. It works like this:
When you deposit $100,000 in your bank, the bank can lend out 10 times or more and charge interest. It means the bank creates money out of thin air. When they lack money to back up their leverage they threaten the Government to blow up like a Gaza Suicide bomber and threaten to collapse the country's economy with them(Too big to fail).

The politicians react by increasing the debt ceiling and bailout the banks. This will continue when there are no more cash left. It is the same as peeing in the pans on a cold winter day.  

When the country has collapsed its economy, they are forced to go to the IMF that will lend the country money to high interest and strip the country for its infrastructure.

What we see is a Coup D'état of the world economy. The solution will be a central world bank, 1 world digital currency and a global government. ORDO AB CHAO(Order out of Chaos)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:36:48 PM by Neptun »

Offline Neptun

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
I took my money from Rochester about 5 yrs ago and put into gold :)

You are a clever guy!  :)

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
I agree that paper money is going to lose much of its worth. But stocks are a different thing. They represent living businesses. Businesses and the economy in general keep functioning even in high inflation money printing environment. If you own a diverse portfolio you basically own a chunk of the economical worth and that may translate into money but is in fact a different type of wealth.

As for Gold it's theoretically gives you protection from inflation but it doesn't create real wealth. Gold value in theory is constant and don't forget it has a negative carry (the cost of safe keeping it). Also is not consumed in meaningful amount, but only gets accumulated in Jewelry and in bullion. There is little to no industrial demand for it. So basically, its worth is a perception just like the perceived worth of fiat currency with the one crucial different that gold cannot be printed.

Offline Neptun

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
I agree that paper money is going to lose much of its worth. But stocks are a different thing. They represent living businesses. Businesses and the economy in general keep functioning even in high inflation money printing environment. If you own a diverse portfolio you basically own a chunk of the economical worth and that may translate into money but is in fact a different type of wealth.

As for Gold it's theoretically gives you protection from inflation but it doesn't create real wealth. Gold value in theory is constant and don't forget it has a negative carry (the cost of safe keeping it). Also is not consumed in meaningful amount, but only gets accumulated in Jewelry and in bullion. There is little to no industrial demand for it. So basically, its worth is a perception just like the perceived worth of fiat currency with the one crucial different that gold cannot be printed.

When you invest $100,000 in stocks in different companies and they on average go up 5% and the value of the dollar is being inflated with 10%, are you making money?

Gold is an inflation protection of your money. Look at the graph of Gold and silver long term and see how it is going up in value, because the dollar has been inflated. The value of your gold money will give you the opportunity to purchase more when the dollar has been inflated. Remember: Purchase assets and not liabilities. Read Robert Kiyosaki - Rich dad poor dad.

From The riches man in Babylon:
"Gold is the currency of Kings,
Silver is the currency of gentlemen,
Barter is the currency of peasants and
debt is the currency of slaves."

FIAT Currency is: Money as debt

Thomas Jefferson
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

The reason most people are slaves to money is because they are total ignorant of the real rules of the money game. Don't be a slave to money. Make the money a slave to you!

Seek money and power not for your own ego, but to serve humanity and help create this a better world!
When you do that, people will discover you are the wonderful, loving and strong people that helped create a paradise and global Shalom on earth.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:09:30 PM by Neptun »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
well said, Neptun..

What is the name of your religion or theology?  What were you born with and raised to become?