Poll

Should JTF endorse Rick Santorum?

Yes
18 (69.2%)
No
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Should JTF endorse Rick Santorum?  (Read 8216 times)

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Should JTF endorse Rick Santorum?
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »
בס''ד

It's going to be either Rick Santorum or Mitt Romney. I am convinced that one of them will win the Republican presidential nomination unless something completely unexpected occurs. I think Santorum is far from perfect but better than Romney.

On Iran, Santorum wants crippling sanctions, and wants to give the Iranians an immediate ultimatum to either open up all of their nuclear facilities to immediate inspection or face a bombing of those facilities by the U.S. air force. A pretty good position if he means it.

On Israel, Santorum claims that Israel has the right to keep all of her land and build settlements as she wishes. But he would support the Israeli government if they decided to give up land, G-d forbid. This position is not as good as Mike Huckabee and Newt Gingrich, who in effect publicly urge Israel not to surrender her land. But the Santorum position, if he means it, is better than Mitt Romney. Santorum attacked Gingrich for saying there is no "Palestinian" people, so I question his sincerity. However, on paper Santorum is better than Romney on this issue.

On issues like energy independence, illegal immigration, abortion, homosexuality, entitlements, spending, taxes, and the Second Amendment, Santorum is better on paper than Romney.

Can Santorum win? Who knows? Romney has much more money, establishment support and organizational muscle in the upcoming primaries and caucuses. Romney is clearly the frontrunner and the favorite right now. Santorum is the underdog. But it is possible to see Santorum uniting the Republican party's conservative majority against Romney.

Can Santorum beat Barack Hussein Obama? Again, who knows? Either Santorum or Romney will come under ferocious attack from the billion dollar Obama campaign and the Obama-worshipping news media as soon as it is clear who the Republican nominee will be. Can either Santorum or Romney survive this onslaught? I honestly don't know.

If we support Santorum, I will begin a massive video campaign on his behalf. Even if we do not support Santorum, I think I should do videos commenting on his positions - praising him when appropriate and urging him to take a more rightwing stance when appropriate.

So what do you think?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Should JTF endorse Rick Santorum?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
Tough call at this time... Obviously I would vote for either of them over the abomination obamanation.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline heyuguys

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:34:44 PM »
santorum is better than romney, so yes.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
I think it would be best to break it down to the following:

1. Anyone but Ron foul.
2. Non romney/Paul candidate is a better choice.

I wouldn't endorse anyone yet.  However a good video would be to contrast romney from non romney with a reminder that Ron foul is an outright Nazi.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »
http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=2511

Rick Santorum: 'There are no Palestinians'
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
I don't see Santorum doing well in the general elections...  At this point its a wait and see for me... Who ever gains the nomination will be the one I support going forward... I see Romney having a chance to win in November however Santorum winning would indeed take some divine intervention.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »
santorum is better on the issues, but hes gonna get his *ss kicked by the obama-zombie media.

then again romney just sucks

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Yes Santorum is the true conservative and he is making promises about a lot of things and if he was electable I would vote for him in a minute but he is not electable.
The truth is that it's either going to be Romney against Obama or obama gets re-elected.
Santorum can not beat obama, every poll says so even the ultra conservative Fox News says obama would beat him.
Last week Romney was leading obama by 6 points.
This is not an election to say "well it's not so bad if the current president gets re-elected", this time it means America and Israel getting totally destroyed.

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »
I don't see Santorum doing well in the general elections...  At this point its a wait and see for me... Who ever gains the nomination will be the one I support going forward... I see Romney having a chance to win in November however Santorum winning would indeed take some divine intervention.
Divine intervention?, it would be a miracle like we have never witnessed before.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
Divine intervention?, it would be a miracle like we have never witnessed before.
:laugh:  :::D

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
Yes Santorum is the true conservative and he is making promises about a lot of things and if he was electable I would vote for him in a minute but he is not electable.
The truth is that it's either going to be Romney against Obama or obama gets re-elected.
Santorum can not beat obama, every poll says so even the ultra conservative Fox News says obama would beat him.
Last week Romney was leading obama by 6 points.
This is not an election to say "well it's not so bad if the current president gets re-elected", this time it means America and Israel getting totally destroyed.

Take a few moments to think about voting for him the guy has a great deal of old baggage that will give the opposition plenty to toss his way... Something always made me uneasy about this guy... His support of Arlen Specter still doesn't sit well with many people.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
I like santorum.   He has huge support from evangelicals.  But romney still has a better chance against Obama

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »
BTW, welcome back ashedina and jbeige.

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
BTW, welcome back ashedina and jbeige.
Thanks for the welcome, but I won't stay around too long because my political views seem to get me into trouble.

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 06:54:40 PM »
I like santorum.   He has huge support from evangelicals.  But romney still has a better chance against Obama
You are right.
It's sad to say we have to either have Romney or obama.

Romney/Santorum 2012

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »
Wait until after South Carolina. Perry is not dropping out right now and if he sticks around for SC then he will ruin any chance Santorum has of winning that key state. Of course If Santorum does not win SC then he has no chance of winning the nomination so one might say that Santorum should be supported so he can win SC. Romney has a much better shot of beating Obama from what I have seen.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »
בס''ד

Romney is like the establishment sellout Republicans who have always lost: Gerald Ford in 1976, George Bush Sr. in 1992, Bob Dole in 1996 and John McCain in 2008.

On the other hand, when Republicans ran as conservatives, they generally have won: Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984, George Bush Sr. in 1988 ("Read my lips: No new taxes!") and George Bush Jr. in 2000 and 2004. Yes, the Bushes were not real conservatives but they ran as conservatives.  (Except in 1992, when Bush Sr. could not even pretend to be conservative anymore.)

I think many of our great JTFers have been influenced by the establishment propaganda that says that a conservative outsider can't win. History proves otherwise.

Rick Santorum would inspire tremendous Republican base turnout and conservative enthusiasm. He's working class, he's from Pennsylvania (a critical swing state similar to other swing states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa etc.), and he's Italian American (a potentially big advantage among white ethnic swing voters).

Who would be a tougher opponent for Obama? A working class Italian American Reagan conservative from Pennsylvania, or a super rich, Wall Street Rockefeller liberal from Massachusetts?

Oh yes, let's not forget religious background: Santorum is a Catholic. White Catholics are the biggest swing voters. Romney is a Mormon - there are evangelical Christians who will not vote for a Mormon.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »
בס''ד

Romney is like the establishment sellout Republicans who have always lost: Gerald Ford in 1976, George Bush Sr. in 1992, Bob Dole in 1996 and John McCain in 2008.

On the other hand, when Republicans ran as conservatives, they generally have won: Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984, George Bush Sr. in 1988 ("Read my lips: No new taxes!") and George Bush Jr. in 2000 and 2004. Yes, the Bushes were not real conservatives but they ran as conservatives.  (Except in 1992, when Bush Sr. could not even pretend to be conservative anymore.)

I think many of our great JTFers have been influenced by the establishment propaganda that says that a conservative outsider can't win. History proves otherwise.

Rick Santorum would inspire tremendous Republican base turnout and conservative enthusiasm. He's working class, he's from Pennsylvania (a critical swing state similar to other swing states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa etc.), and he's Italian American (a potentially big advantage among white ethnic swing voters).

Who would be a tougher opponent for Obama? A working class Italian American Reagan conservative from Pennsylvania, or a super rich, Wall Street Rockefeller liberal from Massachusetts?

Oh yes, let's not forget religious background: Santorum is a Catholic. White Catholics are the biggest swing voters. Romney is a Mormon - there are evangelical Christians who will not vote for a Mormon.
Good points but do recall that America is so very far to the left today that anyone with the image of being "right-wing" at all is automatically perceived as being too radical for the general public. Something like 55% of Americans support sodomite "marriage", and quite a bit more than that support illegal alien amnesty under certain conditions.

I definitely like Santorum more than Romney but voters these days will tolerate only the blandest of GOP candidates. So I'm really not sure.

Offline Angry Panther

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Don't forget the Hillary equation in all of this, rumors have been spreading that Hillary Clinton may be Obama's running mate which gives Obama more of a chance of getting re-elected. I don't think Rick Santorum could handle the out of control press if that happens. Mitt Romney would be able too, but he would have to choose his running mate very carefully.

What a scary thought, Obama having the Clinton political machine behind him.

This presidential election may be a lot tougher than any of us thought.

One last quick note...You notice their not announcing who Obama's running mate will be until the GOP chooses it's candidate.

I Would like to see Santorum be the nominee, but I don't think he is electable if the above circumstances come true.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
Santorum is the best candidate between the two!

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
בס''ד

Whoever the Republican nominee is will come under massive attack from the Obama money machine and the news media.

Think about this: why does the media support Romney? They will go after him mercilessly the moment he gets the nomination. Same for Santorum.

Romney is very vulnerable to attacks over his flip flopping and phoniness. Santorum will be portrayed as an extreme rightwinger. Either way we have an uphill fight this November.

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
PA is a very important swing state, but Santorum lost his Senate seat in that very state in 2006 and many people feel he really lives in Virginia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum#2006

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
בס''ד

Whoever the Republican nominee is will come under massive attack from the Obama money machine and the news media.

Think about this: why does the media support Romney? They will go after him mercilessly the moment he gets the nomination. Same for Santorum.

Romney is very vulnerable to attacks over his flip flopping and phoniness. Santorum will be portrayed as an extreme rightwinger. Either way we have an uphill fight this November.
I think in this day and age being portrayed as a radical rightist is the ultimate insult and kiss of death.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
בס''ד

Sometimes moderates are more competitive candidates, sometimes conservatives are.

But in THIS case, UNFORTUNATELY, I think a moderate phoney RINO like Romney stands a better chance.  I think that Romney has the institutional GOP support and the money support.  Romney can raise more money and support better than anyone... and since the last 2 elections, the GOP has been outspent by a larger margin, we need a marketing machine like Romney and the money to fight against Obama.

ALSO

Americans are superficial, and want someone tall, with nice hair, and a nice tan who LOOKS like a president.

ALSO

Americans still blame the GOP for the economic fiasco.   They still aren't ready for someone more fiscally conservative yet..... maybe in 2016 they will be.