Author Topic: I survived the 2014 California 6.0 Earthquake  (Read 4877 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I survived the 2014 California 6.0 Earthquake
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
Shalom,

Last night at 3:20AM I was jostled awake by severe shaking of the ground. The USGS (US Geological Service) rated the earthquake as a 6.0 with an Epicenter in American Canyon which is about 5 miles from my house. Things fell out of my closets, a mirror was thrown from the wall to crash on the floor, all my pots and pans fell off the wall and crashed to the ground. Even though 60% of my towns power went out, luckily my house did not lose power. There was no structural damage to my property (thank Hashem) but my nerves were wrecked all night last night and I only got 2 hours of sleep...

Now I know many here are going to blame it on being 'California' and all the 'libs' here... I have already noticed this response on 'TheBlaze' with over 2/3 of the talkbacks saying California deserved it... I think that kind of response is idiotic. Yes, California has a lot of libs, but the 1st concern should not be politics but rather to make sure every one is ok. My community is not liberal and many righteous people have been affected by this quake.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: I survived the 2014 California 6.0 Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
http://fox40.com/2014/08/24/6-0-earthquake-hits-american-canyon-napa-county/

A 6.0 earthquake hit Napa County early Sunday morning and could be felt around the Sacramento area.

Almost 90 people were injured in the quake and aftershocks, including a young boy who was hurt when a fireplace collapsed.

It happened around 3:30 a.m. and according to the USGS was centered about eight miles north of Vallejo.

CLICK HERE for an update from city officials

Sunday morning’s quake was at a depth of about 6 miles.

PG&E’s website is reporting a lot of people without power in the area of the quake. They have reports of thousands of people without electricity in the cities of Napa, Sonoma and Santa Rosa.

This map shows who may have felt the shaking from Sunday morning's quake in American Canyon. The yellow indicates strong shaking, while the blue shade represents light shaking.

Other reports on Twitter indicate damage to homes and stores from items falling off shelves.

Many people in the Sacramento area reported feeling the quake. The Sacramento Police Department says they received many calls from people who felt tremors, but there are no reports of damage in the Capital City.

The USGS says light to moderate shaking from Sunday morning’s quake could be felt all the way up to Roseville.

The quake was initially reported as a 6.0 magnitude, then changed to 6.1, then back to 6.0 as USGS scientists look at their data.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Actually that FOX report contains some errors...

1) The earthquake definately struck at 3:20 (not 3:30 as reported)

2) Initially the USGS estimated it as a 5.7, changed it to 6.0 (then 6.1) and back to 6.0...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »
B H you're okay Muman!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »
B H you're okay Muman!

Thank you.... The market I go shopping at is closed till 11:30 today... Guess they have to clean up...

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
Glad you're OK. 

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
You were near to epicenter, but G_d bless you are OK.   
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
The good thing is you still there  :dance:
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
Thank you...

Yes, it is good to count our blessings...

Offline Ukrainian Jew

• Senior JTFer
  • «Львівські Євреї – 700 років наполегливої.»
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
Shalom,

Last night at 3:20AM I was jostled awake by severe shaking of the ground. The USGS (US Geological Service) rated the earthquake as a 6.0 with an Epicenter in American Canyon which is about 5 miles from my house. Things fell out of my closets, a mirror was thrown from the wall to crash on the floor, all my pots and pans fell off the wall and crashed to the ground. Even though 60% of my towns power went out, luckily my house did not lose power. There was no structural damage to my property (thank Hashem) but my nerves were wrecked all night last night and I only got 2 hours of sleep...

Now I know many here are going to blame it on being 'California' and all the 'libs' here... I have already noticed this response on 'TheBlaze' with over 2/3 of the talkbacks saying California deserved it... I think that kind of response is idiotic. Yes, California has a lot of libs, but the 1st concern should not be politics but rather to make sure every one is ok. My community is not liberal and many righteous people have been affected by this quake.

I agree. As much as I attack leftist Jews, I think people aren't necessarily evil because of their political views (unless you are a Nazi, Communist, or Muslim who kills people over your views).

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:37:04 AM »
The science agrees with you muman.  We know from science that california lies on fault lines and is prone to earthquakes.   That was the case long before europeans stepped foot on the soil let alone liberals took over the place.

I for one am glad to hear you are fine.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:56:23 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:51:13 AM »
That's so cool man. Must be those evil queers in san fran freako.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 01:33:03 AM »
Another reason not to live in California, but I am glad you were not hurt.
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
Another reason not to live in California, but I am glad you were not hurt.

Thank you... I indeed thank Hashem for sparing my home from any lasting damage.

Well EJA44, you yourself are staring a major catastrophe in the face. I know you live in the NW corner of the country and there is a huge probability of a catastrophic volcanic eruption and earthquake which will cause a tsunami right off the coast of Washington state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone

Tectonic processes active in the Cascadia subduction zone region include accretion, subduction, deep earthquakes, and active volcanism that has included such notable eruptions as Mount Mazama (Crater Lake) about 7,500 years ago, Mount Meager about 2,350 years ago, and Mount St. Helens in 1980.[1] Major cities affected by a disturbance in this subduction zone would include Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; and Sacramento, California.[2]

Earthquake Effects[edit]

The Cascadia subduction zone can produce very large earthquakes ("megathrust earthquakes"), magnitude 9.0 or greater, if rupture occurs over its whole area. When the "locked" zone stores up energy for an earthquake, the "transition" zone, although somewhat plastic, can rupture. Great Subduction Zone earthquakes are the largest earthquakes in the world, and can exceed magnitude 9.0. Earthquake magnitude is proportional to area of fault rupture, and the Cascadia Subduction Zone is a very long sloping fault that stretches from mid-Vancouver Island to Northern California. It separates the Juan de Fuca and North American plates. Because of the very large fault area, the Cascadia Subduction Zone could produce a very large earthquake. Thermal and deformation studies indicate that the locked zone is fully locked for 60 kilometers (about 40 miles) downdip from the deformation front. Further downdip, there is a transition from fully locked to aseismic sliding.[6]

In 1999, a group of Continuous Global Positioning System sites registered a brief reversal of motion of approximately 2 centimeters (0.8 inches) over a 50 kilometer by 300 kilometer (about 30 mile by 200 mile) area. The movement was the equivalent of a 6.7 magnitude earthquake.[7] The motion did not trigger an earthquake and was only detectable as silent, non-earthquake seismic signatures.[8]

In 2004, a study conducted by the Geological Society of America analyzed the potential for relative mean sea level rise (cause by subsidence) along the Cascadia subduction zone. It postulated, that cities on the West coast of Vancouver Island (e.g. Tofino and Ucluelet), are at risk for a 1-2m subsidence, relative to mean sea level.[9]

Earthquake timing

The last known great earthquake in the northwest was the 1700 Cascadia earthquake. Geological evidence indicates that great earthquakes may have occurred at least seven times in the last 3,500 years, suggesting a return time of 300 to 600 years. There is also evidence of accompanying tsunamis with every earthquake, and one line of evidence for these earthquakes is tsunami damage, and through Japanese records of tsunamis.[12]

The next rupture of the Cascadia Subduction Zone is anticipated to be capable of causing widespread destruction throughout the Pacific Northwest.[13]

Other similar subduction zones in the world usually have such earthquakes every 100 to 200 years; the longer interval here may indicate unusually large stress buildup and subsequent unusually large earthquake slip.[14]

San Andreas Fault connection[edit]

Studies of past earthquake traces on both the northern San Andreas Fault and the southern Cascadia subduction zone indicate a correlation in time which may be evidence that quakes on the Cascadia subduction zone may have triggered most of the major quakes on the northern San Andreas during at least the past 3,000 years or so. The evidence also shows the rupture direction going from north to south in each of these time-correlated events. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake seems to have been a major exception to this correlation, however, as it was not preceded by a major Cascadia quake.[15]

Forecasts of the next major earthquake[edit]

Prior to the 1980s, scientists thought that the subduction zone just did not generate earthquakes like the other subduction zones around the world, but research by Brian Atwater and Kenji Satake tied together evidence of large tsunami on the Washington coast with documentation of an orphan tsunami in Japan (a tsunami without an associated earthquake). The two pieces of the puzzle were linked, and they then realized that the subduction zone was more hazardous than previously suggested. The feared next major earthquake has some geologists predicting a 10% to 14% probability that the Cascadia Subduction Zone will produce an event of magnitude 9 or higher in the next 50 years;[16] however, the most recent studies suggest that this risk could be as high as 37% for earthquakes of magnitude 8 or higher.[17][18]

Geologists and civil engineers have broadly determined that the Pacific Northwest region is not well prepared for such a colossal earthquake. The tsunami produced may reach heights of approximately 30 meters (100 ft).[19] The earthquake is expected to be similar to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, as the rupture is expected to be as long as the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 12:32:24 AM »
muman,  I'm very glad to see you are ok.  I hope that all of the good people that were adversely affected by the earthquake recover from any injuries they suffered and can get their lives back to normal ASAP.

I was extremely fortunate with Hurricane Sandy,  as it was a miracle from G-d there was no significant property damage and other than losing power for less than 30 seconds once or twice,  I had power in the hours,  days,  and weeks following the massive storm.    Considering over 90 % of Nassau County lost power for a significant period of time during Hurricane Sandy,  I'm grateful that I had power.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
muman,  I'm very glad to see you are ok.  I hope that all of the good people that were adversely affected by the earthquake recover from any injuries they suffered and can get their lives back to normal ASAP.

I was extremely fortunate with Hurricane Sandy,  as it was a miracle from G-d there was no significant property damage and other than losing power for less than 30 seconds once or twice,  I had power in the hours,  days,  and weeks following the massive storm.    Considering over 90 % of Nassau County lost power for a significant period of time during Hurricane Sandy,  I'm grateful that I had power.

Incredible story. My parents know people who were adversely affected by Sandy... Thank G-d you escaped with minimal problems.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »
I am glad I don't live in the upper NW of the country because according to most experts, that part of the country will experience a very destructive force sometime in the near future. My cousins lived in Oregon at the time of the Mt. Saint Helen eruption.. I remember that event pretty well.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 01:23:19 AM »
Look's like it's 'Earthquake Night' on muman613 Channel...

This documentary is on the San Andreas fault which runs through California and is the root source of many of our seismic issues. The map of California is criss-crossed with all kinds of geological fault-lines though and the major ones causing us trouble now are the 'Hayward Fault' and the 'Napa fault' which run close by...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 01:51:42 AM »
The San Francisco Bay area is rife with fault-lines:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:31 AM »
I lived in LA for both the Whittier and the Northridge quakes...

In 1987 I lived with my father in Marina Del Rey and felt the Whittier quake.

When the 1994 Northridge quake hit I was living in Long Beach.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
So glad you survived with no injuries....this one caused a lot of damage.  The Fault lines are changing geographically, I think there is going to be another really big one.   Earthquakes in various places increasing in magnitude is another prophecy in Matthew 24: 7.   Frankly, God IS Shaking the Earth....Look where the biggest population of Homosexuals Live!  I heard Northern California was just hit with another aftershock.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
Yes, two aftershocks this morning... Just woken up by them...

5:33 @ 3.9 Mag then 5:35 @ 2.7 Mag...

But I don't think that you can correlate seismic activity with the behavior of the population. You can't tell me that all the Earthquakes which can be seen with USGS tracking are all due to homos. And the areas affected by this quake are not predominantly from areas with high homo populations. So that theory doesn't really explain it...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72284586

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72284591

And I don't know what you mean Debbie by the 'fault lines' are changing. These faults have been formed for thousands of years, they do not change... Only we discover them because the last time they shifted was 100s or 1000s of years ago.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 09:17:39 AM »
Another small aftershock @ 6:12AM of magnitude 2.8...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72284611