Yes.
19 (38.8%)
No.
25 (51%)
I'm not sure.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM

Author Topic: What Do You All Think Of Halloween?  (Read 51924 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Should Halloween be banned?
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »
Hallowen has a pagan origin, but so does Christmas...... Do you wish to ban Christmas as well?
What about my custom to celebrate the begginings of seasons. Would  you like to take me to jail for that?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
Yes you are right ,however , when two have the right will it is good.

Erica

« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2007, 12:31:23 AM »
That sounds reasonable, but the arranged marriage where someone is told "hey heres your future wife, enjoy" is not cool, imagine marrying somone you just met, its ridiculous.
You are so right, kellymaureen. My daughter is doing a report on arranged marriages and what it means to marry someone you don't love, or even know very well for that matter. I am so happy my marriage wasn't arranged. If it was with anyone other than my husband, who knows what  I would've ended up with as a husband; an abuser, closet drug addict, a closet homosexual... ((shudders)) I'd have been divorced 5 days after the wedding. lol

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2007, 05:07:30 AM »

I'm just happy for the excuse to dress up in a fun costume, and hit on/get hit on, by women, who are also dressed up in fun costumes.  :D
In a religious forum I think we should try to avoid inappropriate sexual comments like that....

You don't date? It's a part of life. Try it some time, you might like it. Nothing in the Torah against it. Are we Jews or Puritans at Jamestown?  8)

lou, we are varied people here, and adults, and nothing overt is being discussed, simply light banter, this thread is about something as silly as Halloween after all. Are you so easily shocked? You should get out more.  :D

No wonder so many Americans don't know History. Puritans were in New England, not Jamestown.

Even an average Joe Anglican Episcopalian in Jamestown was far more moral than 95% of average westerners lukewarm liberal jews and chritians today the standarts are droping down like the elevator; I'm not puritan I like to enjoy the good live; but it's not the time and place to do it; stop mixing the sacred with profane; This JTF not dating on-line; so please stop this siliness.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »
The concept of "marriage for love" is a very recent development coming out of Europe.

Even in Europe, marriages were traditionally considered a form of "alliance", "treaty", and "business contract between two families".

The fact remains that societies which practice "arranged marriages" have the lowest divorce / broken family rates, whereas the more recent "love marriages" are producing a 50% divorce rate within 5 years (or less) of the marriage.

Today, the results of "love marriage" have degenerated even further...in addition to half of all marriages ending in divorce, domestic violence, sexual abuse of children, and homosexuality have become "standard issue" in Western culture.

In addition, the once honorable legal profession has produced "The Divorce Industry"...lawyers have grown so rich litigating broken marriages that they now specialize only in that one field of law.

And, because the first rule of business is "constant growth", the legal profession has been instrumental in supporting each and every condition in society which might result in broken homes; thus increasing their profits made from the misery of innocent children.

The Jews of ancient times practiced arranged marriage because life back then was short and dangerous...invading pagan armies of barbarians marauded all over the known world raping and slaughtering entire cities and villages.  Jewish parents would "betroth" their sons and daughters while they were still in childhood, because then the parents knew with a certainty that if they were slaughtered or met with disaster that their children had already been set on a life path predetermined by their parents, and decided on with great deliberation to be in their best interests.  In short, the "early betrothal" was a form of "Last Will & Testament" made public by parents to ensure the survival of their children as Jews.

Today still most of the very "Orthodox" Jewish communities practice arranged marriages.  I have seen the results of them, and it appears that these families are every bit as happy and stable, if not much more so, than families produced by "love marriages".

Today in the U.S.A., for the first time in history, there are more females living without a husband then there are married females!

Perhaps the wisdom of old endures for a good reason...humankind's basic nature remains unchanged and unaltered, despite advances in technology and standards of living.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »

I'm just happy for the excuse to dress up in a fun costume, and hit on/get hit on, by women, who are also dressed up in fun costumes.  :D
In a religious forum I think we should try to avoid inappropriate sexual comments like that....

You don't date? It's a part of life. Try it some time, you might like it. Nothing in the Torah against it. Are we Jews or Puritans at Jamestown?  8)

lou, we are varied people here, and adults, and nothing overt is being discussed, simply light banter, this thread is about something as silly as Halloween after all. Are you so easily shocked? You should get out more.  :D

No wonder so many Americans don't know History. Puritans were in New England, not Jamestown.

Even an average Joe Anglican Episcopalian in Jamestown was far more moral than 95% of average westerners lukewarm liberal jews and chritians today the standarts are droping down like the elevator; I'm not puritan I like to enjoy the good live; but it's not the time and place to do it; stop mixing the sacred with profane; This JTF not dating on-line; so please stop this siliness.

Jamestown is in New England genius! And the Jamestown settlers were PURITANS. Look it up, Einstien. So please, spare me "No wonder so many Americans don't know History" garbage. Nothing worse than someone that doesn't know the facts, trying to "correct" someone that does.  >:(

And while we're at it, NOTHING profane is being discussed, and nothing sacred for that matter, this is a thread about whether Halloween should be celebrated or not for goodness sake! If you think talking about men and women meeting and starting relationships is profane, you've got a serious problem with emotional repression.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:47:38 AM by NewYorker »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »

Jamestown is in New England genius! And the Jamestown settlers were PURITANS. Look it up, Einstien. So please, spare me "No wonder so many Americans don't know History" garbage. Nothing worse than someone that doesn't know the facts, trying to "correct" someone that does.  >:(

And while we're at it, NOTHING profane is being discussed, and nothing sacred for that matter, this is a thread about whether Halloween should be celebrated or not for goodness sake! If you think talking about men and women meeting and starting relationships is profane, you've got a serious problem with emotional repression.

Jamestown was established in Virginia not New England Genius:
The Jamestown Settlement was one of the first English settlements in North America. Named for King James I of England (VI of Scotland), Jamestown was founded in the Virginia Colony on May 14, 1607. In modern times, "Jamestown Settlement" is also a promotional name used by the Commonwealth of Virginia's portion of the historical attractions at Jamestown. It is adjacent and complementary to the Historic Jamestown attraction at Jamestown Island.

by Anglican cavaliers not roundhead  Puritans:

Due to the aristocratic backgrounds of many of the new colonists and the communal nature of their work load, progress through the first few years was inconsistent, at best. By 1613, six years after Jamestown's founding, the organizers and shareholders of the Virginia Land Company were desperate to increase the efficiency and profitability of the struggling colony.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamestown_Settlement

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy

ftf

« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »
Hallowen has a pagan origin, but so does Christmas...... Do you wish to ban Christmas as well?
What about my custom to celebrate the begginings of seasons. Would  you like to take me to jail for that?
There may have been pagan festivals in the middle of december in years past, but Christmas is no pagan festival, is is a 100% christian festival. Of course, some may call christians pagans...

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
Christians celebrate during this time to hide and not be killed,in Roman times!

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2007, 01:41:18 PM »
Because I beleive in God I think this satanic "holiday" should be banned >:( :o ::)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:26:22 PM by serbian army »
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »
Good

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »
I even see adults dressed as witches and warlocks,etc... what type of children are they raising if their behavior mimics that of an 10 yr old. This country has been brainwashed by the media and TV commercials as Halloween being a Benign and Innocent Fun holiday. That is just WRONG!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2007, 11:51:11 PM »
I agree

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
I even see adults dressed as witches and warlocks,etc... what type of children are they raising if their behavior mimics that of an 10 yr old. This country has been brainwashed by the media and TV commercials as Halloween being a Benign and Innocent Fun holiday. That is just WRONG!

Witchcraft isprohibited by both jewish and chritian scriptures. so to hell with halloween. 8;)

Love your Enemy

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:10 AM »
I'm Jewish and I'm not against it at all.  It's a fun day for the kids here.  What's wrong with that?

kellymaureen

« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2007, 01:21:05 PM »
No because I'll have to eat all this candy myself then :laugh:

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38:37 PM »
Since it's coming up next week, what do people think about this?

I stand by my previous answer, I'm still anti-Halloween.

Good. You are converting to Judaism. You have to be against it!

Where in the Torah or Halacha does it say that you need to be "against" it. How about just not having any involvement with it and just leaving it alone?

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
I think Halloween should be banned in favour of Dia de los Muertos.  O0
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2007, 01:47:10 PM »
If things in this country keep going the way they are, your suggestion will probably become reality, Merkava. *gulp*  >:( :o

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »
lol  :::D

I was only kidding ! I do like Dia de los Muertos & Halloween. October without Halloween doesn't feel like October to me :(
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2007, 07:21:37 PM »
lol  :::D

I was only kidding ! I do like Dia de los Muertos & Halloween. October without Halloween doesn't feel like October to me :(

Well, with the banning of Halloween and football, pretty soon it won't feel like fall at all anymore. What are we gonna ban next? The fall foliage? ;)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
If you need a friend Im here mary joe.I understand their are lonely people.Take care !
Wayne Jude :)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2007, 08:27:48 PM »
But its wrong does that not matter?Yea who cares wat G-d thinks.
Quote removed by TBOT

This is offensive and uncalled for.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:08:15 PM by takebackourtemple »

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2007, 09:05:55 PM »
But its wrong does that not matter?Yea who cares wat G-d thinks.
Quote removed by TBOT.

This is offensive and uncalled for.
Thank You Daniel - I was thinking that but didn't want to say it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:09:00 PM by takebackourtemple »
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
   I removed the quote from maryjoe which is an offensive attempt to divide Gentiles and Jews. JTF's goal is to unite Gentiles and Jews. I thank the users for reporting this to me. If something is not appropriate, please do not quote it as this adds more work to the effort of removing it.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?