Author Topic: Jewish Legends of the Confederacy  (Read 6067 times)

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Jewish Legends of the Confederacy
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 03:48:39 AM »
I think hunting is appalling. If you have to hunt then at least be kind enough and shoot to kill rather then shoot to wound.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 04:01:27 AM »
Hunting is awesome, but i think even catch and release fishing is morally reprehensible.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
Hunting is awesome, but i think even catch and release fishing is morally reprehensible.
What is the difference between the two?

If a person doesn't believe in hunting or fishing... they shouldn't partake in those activities.
I don't think we should tell other people how to live their life.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:23:10 AM by bullcat3 »
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »

Amin is what Arabs say. We say Amen. We say it like Jews "Ah and men.", not like goyim say it in English. Some pronounce it Amein.
What?   :o  :::D
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 08:36:15 AM »
What is the difference between the two?

If a person doesn't believe in hunting or fishing... they shouldn't partake in those activities.
I don't think we should tell other people how to live their life.

Hunting and fishing is the same. Not killing and eating the animal you hunted is disgusting to me, and wasteful, and stupid, and cruel. If a person doesn't "believe" in them, they can cry about them to themselves.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »

Judah P. Benjamin Portrait from Dixie Outfitters can also order a tank top/t-shirt for get this $7.95 that is so cheap, I have about 10 Judah P. Benjamin tank tops myself!

Here is a actual historical picture of Judah P. Benjamin That I proudly hang on my wall in my bedroom!

Dixie Outfitter's has a new Jewish Legend of the Confederacy t-shirt, I just ordered and here it is!

LT. Joshua L. Moses and his Jewish soldier's surrendered after a battle at Fort Blakely Alabama, and the Yankee's soldiers killed them all in cold blood even after surrender, because they were Jewish!

Thanks for putting this up.
:D
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
And guess who killed injured  Confederate soldiers      http://defendingtheheritage.blogspot.com/2013/06/on-april-9-1865-at-530-p.html     

VIRGINIANS, FOR YOUR LANDS, FOR YOUR HOMES, FOR YOUR SWEETHEARTS, FOR YOUR WIVES!
Saturday, June 29, 2013

On April 9, 1865 at 5:30 p.m., 4,000 Confederate troops at Fort Blakeley surrendered to a Union force of 16,000 men. Three hours earlier Lee had surrendered to General Grant at Appomattox. Although the soldiers of Culpepper’s had surrendered, the Union army continued to fire upon them, consequently killing a few men in the Battery. Among those killed was their commander Lt. Joshua L. Moses of Sumter, SC. Lying mortally wounded, his last words were "For God’s sake, save my men they have surrendered".

Josh was the last Confederate Jew to fall in battle, the first being his first cousin, Lt. Albert Moses Luria, who was killed in May of 1862 at Seven Pines, Virginia. At the battle of Fort Blakeley, Josh's brother Perry was wounded, and another brother, Horace, captured.

I believe there is a monument at Fort Blakeley, Alabama honoring the United States Colored Troops who executed prisoners of war and other Confederates trying to surrender ( and even shot their own officers !) after that battle, one of the final large engagements of the War.

“…many of the union black troops did attack the Confederate whites after surrendering, and even shot two of their own officers trying to stop them. One white sergeant who was commissioned an officer the day after the assault wrote home …and stated his regiment took no live prisoners, “they killed all they took to a man.”

Photo: Lt. Joshua L. Moses standing

The illegal and heinous actions of these USCT's are well documented, "The Siege of Blakeley and the Campaign of Mobile," by Roger B. Hansen & Norman A. Nicolson, (published by Historic Blakley press, with an introduction by Mary Y. Grice, Executive Director, Historic Blakeley Foundation).

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline KevinWhiteman

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
The NC Historic Marker for Sec. Benjamin isn't far from where I live. Very cool. FWIW, (history geek alert) not only was JPB the first Jew elevated to Cabinet position, it was the Confederate gov't was first had a Catholic in the cabinet (Sec of the Navy).

But to listen to Yankee libs, the Confederates were 100% WASPs. 

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
Judah P. Benjamin yimach schmo vezichro was a self hating kike.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:21 AM »
Judah P. Benjamin yimach schmo vezichro was a self hating kike.
Why do you say that?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Why do you say that?
He was one of the first "reform Jews" in America. His father was one of the founders of the first reform congregation in America, Judah Benjamin himself married out of Judaism, got married in a Christian ceremony and baptized his daughter to French Catholicism.

Benjamin Wade was right to call him: "a Hebrew with Egyptian principles".

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
The Civil War started at Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. Charleston has one of the oldest synagogues in the US. It was Sfardic originally but then the German Deforms hijacked the synagogue and made it Deform. So it's not really the same synagogue. The congregation was hijacked and only the name is the same. I think even the building is different. Charleston had the first Deform community in the country.

But Charleston also has the oldest Ashkenazic Orthodox synagogue in the country. I guess the Ashkenazic Jews came to the US in the same wave of immigration in which the Deform came. Originally almost all American Jews were Sfardic (Spanish and Portuguese). But overtime most of the Spanish/Portuguese synagogues have become Establishment type places and people go there just to say they belong. I remember someone told me that about the Arlen Spector, the self-hating Senator from Philadelphia who belonged to Mikveh Israel, in the Independence Mall area in Philadelphia. I guess it's partly because Sfardic synagogue are all Orthodox and not all the Jews were observant but they went to Orthodox synagogues and they became assimilated since they were the earliest Jews in the country and brought the self-hating mentality that some Secular Jews have into the historic synagogues.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 01:17:18 AM »
I hunt as well, also fish off the coast quite often. But I've only ate what i've killed, it's been many years since I last went hunting.

also what's with the hate for Redneck Jew? I think he should stay, I don't agree with the hunting necessarily followed kashrut laws or wounding but I do think hunting is important for survival, I personally believe that the way animals are slaughtered for super markets (we're talking non kosher food in specific) is much much worse than animals killed while being hunted for food.

I don't agree with hunting for sport.

Also wasn't there a section in the Torah about Leviticus about hunting if I recall? I know that many Jews in America used to trade furs for clothing which wouldn't specifically be hunting for food.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 01:53:44 AM »
I hunt as well, also fish off the coast quite often. But I've only ate what i've killed, it's been many years since I last went hunting.

also what's with the hate for Redneck Jew? I think he should stay, I don't agree with the hunting necessarily followed kashrut laws or wounding but I do think hunting is important for survival, I personally believe that the way animals are slaughtered for super markets (we're talking non kosher food in specific) is much much worse than animals killed while being hunted for food.

I don't agree with hunting for sport.

Also wasn't there a section in the Torah about Leviticus about hunting if I recall? I know that many Jews in America used to trade furs for clothing which wouldn't specifically be hunting for food.

I did not see any hate in this thread. I bring up the halachic and sage-wise view of the topic in the hopes that anyone reading should think about what is involved. I personally am a lover of animals, in that I have a connection with my pets and have noticed that wild animals are attracted to me. I am one who believes that humans should do kindness to animals and only kill them when necessary. I eat meat, and I have no guilty conscience. But in general I think hunting for sport is cruel.

That is the crux of the teachings of the Torah on the topic. That we should not be cruel to animals, all the while knowing that animals are here for the benefit of mankind. The only other issue on the topic concerns the spiritual nature of those who engage in killing animals, as in an article I linked to which examined the two 'hunters' in the Torah and how they had negative character traits (I believe it was Nimrod and Essau)...

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/130/Q1/

Dear [email protected],

The source of the prohibition against hunting can be found in the Responsa Nodeh B'eyehudah (tinyuna Yoreh Deah #10).

He rules that if hunting is done for pleasure (one is not interested in eating the meat), there are three prohibitions that exist:

1) One is prohibited to cause suffering to animals. This is learned from the positive commandment that one should help unload a load from an animal (Exodus 23:5).

2) One is not permitted to destroy anything in this world if no benefit is derived from the destruction (Devarim 20:19).

3) Hunting was one of the characteristics of Esau and Nimrod, who were hunters. Jews who are the children of Jacob should not follow the ways of Esau and Nimrod who lacked mercy to all humans and animals. We should emulate the ways of Jacob and G-d and try to follow a life of good traits.Jews have never been known to be hunters. Here are several reasons why.

The Torah commands us to alleviate pain from a suffering animal. This is derived from the verse "If you see your enemy's donkey buckling under its load - and you're tempted not to help him - you must help him unload it." From here we see the commandment to help a suffering animal.

Again I did not see any hatred of Redneck Jew here... We are here to live and learn, and sometimes we don't all agree...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 04:33:37 AM »
If you ask a rabbi is it kosher to eat an animal you wounded with a gun shot or arrow and then move in to slaughter it "kosher", I am pretty sure the answer would be no it's not kosher meat but treifa. You can't maim the animal before the kill, at least as far as I know. So one thing I ask from Jewish hunters is since your kill isn't going to be kosher if you have to hunt at least be decent and humane and go for a kill shot to insure a quick death. And if you can't aim or you can't make a certain kill don't shoot it.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
If you ask a rabbi is it kosher to eat an animal you wounded with a gun shot or arrow and then move in to slaughter it "kosher", I am pretty sure the answer would be no it's not kosher meat but treifa. You can't maim the animal before the kill, at least as far as I know. So one thing I ask from Jewish hunters is since your kill isn't going to be kosher if you have to hunt at least be decent and humane and go for a kill shot to insure a quick death. And if you can't aim or you can't make a certain kill don't shoot it.

You are both informed and perceptive in detecting a problem with Jews and hunting. Your description of schechita- Jewish ritual slaughter- is essentially accurate, though it should be clarified that "clean" as you use it above means drained of blood and checked for lesions or disease. Furthermore, an animal which has died- or which will die- from something other than the ritual slaughter is called a treifa, or sometimes just treif, which means "torn," and is considered not kosher by those who observe traditional Jewish dietary laws. (The word "treif" is often used as shorthand or slang to mean all food considered not kosher.)

If you shoot it in the leg, it will live. You can then track it down and kill it. It's only treif if its a moral wound. Trapping is also perfectly permissible.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »
Trapping is one of the cruelest and most sadistic methods to kill animals.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
Trapping is one of the cruelest and most sadistic methods to kill animals.

Bear traps are pretty brutal, but there are things that rope a deer's leg and suspend it from a tree, and there's no blood involved, and 100% kosher. Do you think our ancestors in Israel never hunted?

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
Bear traps are pretty brutal, but there are things that rope a deer's leg and suspend it from a tree, and there's no blood involved, and 100% kosher. Do you think our ancestors in Israel never hunted?
I don't think hunter has ever been a major source of food in Israel. I think they did hunt deer and elk and wild goat and wild birds for food as well as wolves, leopards, lions and bears and other predators to protect their herds. Back then hunting was conducted with spears and arrows, it was brutal. Today in north America it doesn't have to be brutal, so it mustn't be. And also virtually no one who hunts really do that to survive. I suspect It's not even economically justifiable for most people to get their meat by hunting versus the alternative of buying it from the butcher. People who hunt today do that for sport even if they eat the animal they kill, they are in it for the joy of the hunt and the kill.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
I don't think hunter has ever been a major source of food in Israel. I think they did hunt deer and elk and wild goat and wild birds for food as well as wolves, leopards, lions and bears and other predators to protect their herds. Back then hunting was conducted with spears and arrows, it was brutal. Today in north America it doesn't have to be brutal, so it mustn't be. And also virtually no one who hunts really do that to survive. I suspect It's not even economically justifiable for most people to get their meat by hunting versus the alternative of buying it from the butcher. People who hunt today do that for sport even if they eat the animal they kill, they are in it for the joy of the hunt and the kill.
30 dollars for a deer tag. If you do all the butchering yourself, it is well worth it! On the other hand a turkey tag, not worth it.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »

It does save money, and gives an opportunity to be in nature. Everyone today is "more holy" than the great men in the Torah. Our ancestors hunted, and Jacob kissed the hand of Rachel the first time he saw her. Judaism is not a religion of pansyness.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 03:22:25 AM »
It does save money, and gives an opportunity to be in nature. Everyone today is "more holy" than the great men in the Torah. Our ancestors hunted, and Jacob kissed the hand of Rachel the first time he saw her. Judaism is not a religion of pansyness.

LKZ, I love you, but again I will disagree with you...

For the most part, the Torah testifies that the Jewish people have been herders and keepers of livestock. The forefathers were Shepards for the most part, and they kept cattle. When the Jews left Mitzrayim/Egypt they left with a lot of livestock, sheep and goats, cattle and donkeys. Remember that the nation left with great wealth, the wealth of Egypt which remained after the plagues. In the desert they kept the livestock and so they didn't need to hunt, that and the manna from heaven.

I cannot think of any great Jewish hunters in our Tanach... I do not think this makes the Jewish prototype a 'pansy' because great Jews like David and Samson have exhibited great bravery and strength, so too Bar Kochba against the Roman edomites.

Maybe there are some but I cannot think of any at this time...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 03:33:05 AM »
LKZ, I love you, but again I will disagree with you...

For the most part, the Torah testifies that the Jewish people have been herders and keepers of livestock. The forefathers were Shepards for the most part, and they kept cattle. When the Jews left Mitzrayim/Egypt they left with a lot of livestock, sheep and goats, cattle and donkeys. Remember that the nation left with great wealth, the wealth of Egypt which remained after the plagues. In the desert they kept the livestock and so they didn't need to hunt, that and the manna from heaven.

I cannot think of any great Jewish hunters in our Tanach... I do not think this makes the Jewish prototype a 'pansy' because great Jews like David and Samson have exhibited great bravery and strength, so too Bar Kochba against the Roman edomites.

Maybe there are some but I cannot think of any at this time...

I was more into the not touching women thing.

You're basically right about hunting, in almost every circumstance, hunting for sport will lead to the animal not being killed in a kosher way. I still think trapping deer is kosher though. How can you raise deer? If deer is kosher we can eat it, and since it likes the wild, that's where we should get it.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 04:07:52 AM »
Found this.

"Interestingly, the Hebrew (and biblical Hebrew) word for hunting is Tzayad, which means trapping, not hunting. It seems to me that they would trap the wild animals and then slaughter them"

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
Our ancestors hunted, and Jacob kissed the hand of Rachel the first time he saw her. Judaism is not a religion of pansyness.

Rachel was only 6 years old. He married her when she was 13. I don't think any normal person would be turned on by kissing a 6 year old. I also heard that Jacob was on a higher spiritual plane than us. Also, Rachel was his cousin. The rabbi who told me about it said we couldn't act in that way though.

In the old days people would become engaged at young ages but would only get married at the age of consent (12 for a girl and 13 for a boy.).

Rebekah was 3 when she came from Haran and she got pregnant when she was 23.