Author Topic: Will Leonardo DiCaprio have to convert to Judaism?  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
Will Leonardo DiCaprio have to convert to Judaism?
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:18:54 AM »
Bar Refaeli won’t stand under the huppah with her honey, Leonardo DiCaprio, if her father, Rafael Refaeli, has anything to say about it, reports the New York Daily News . Aaron Braunstein, who is promoting “The Brawl at the Wall” boxing match between Israeli and Palestinian fighters July 4, saw Bar’s pop in Jerusalem last week. “He told me that if Leo doesn’t convert to Judaism, there will be no marriage,” he told the New York tabloid. Oy.

http://www.bostonherald.com/track/star_tracks/view/2009_02_17_Will_Leonardo_DiCaprio_have_to_convert_to_Judaism_/
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
Re: Will Leonardo DiCaprio have to convert to Judaism?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »
What do you think, will leonardo convert to judaism?
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
No, I don't think he will.  Especially after her father gave him this ultimatum.  And just to convert for the sake of the marriage makes no sense to me.  Be sincere about it or don't do it.  Am I wrong to think this way?

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:43:52 AM »
I also don't think that Leonardo will convert to Judaism.  Unless, he is in love with her; but I think he enjoys having different models on his arm to suit his ego and image.  I think when push comes to shove he will find another. 
Hey, I could be wrong, but probably not.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:43:54 AM »
They shouldn't even have been dating in the first place. Besides if he converts to Judaism he'll just be another one of those leftists Jews making Jewish people look bad so I think it's better for the Jewish people if he doesn't convert to Judaism.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:55:01 AM »
They shouldn't even have been dating in the first place. Besides if he converts to Judaism he'll just be another one of those leftists Jews making Jewish people look bad so I think it's better for the Jewish people if he doesn't convert to Judaism.
Exactly
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
I don't think, but how this thread comes to the JTF?  :P
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »
You guys can have Leonardo, we don't want him anyway.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »
I thought he dumped her like 2 years ago ?!

She is a self hating Jewess and even that is in name only. I expect her to convert to Scientology or some other stupid 'faith' down the way.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »

She is a self hating Jewess and even that is in name only. I expect her to convert to Scientology or some other stupid 'faith' down the way.
It's not too far fetched. But I would be surprised if you can name me one Hollywood Jew that isn't self hating.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:27:48 PM »
Chaim said that converting JUST for the sake of marriage is not a legitimate conversion. And besides.. how Jewish can she be dating a non-Jew?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »

It's not too far fetched. But I would be surprised if you can name me one Hollywood Jew that isn't self hating.
You are too right :'(

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »
I know several converts who are sincere in their conversion who originally came to Judaism because they married a Jew. I am not saying that the majority of these kinds of converts are sincere, but I have good reason to believe that it can work out. There are cases of Jews who lost their faith, met a partner, then did Teshuva and had the partner decide if she wanted to convert. I will not condemn any convert because, quite interestingly, last weeks Torah portion "Mishpatim" {which is my Bar Mitzvah portion} contained the mitzvah not to opress the Ger {convert, proselyte} because we {Jews} were strangers in Egypt.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »
Muman I agree with you in general. It may very well be that a person convert because he/she wish to marry a Jew but the conversion is sincere non the less. Any conversion that gets approved by the Beit Din I don't dispute.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »
I know several converts who are sincere in their conversion who originally came to Judaism because they married a Jew. I am not saying that the majority of these kinds of converts are sincere, but I have good reason to believe that it can work out. There are cases of Jews who lost their faith, met a partner, then did Teshuva and had the partner decide if she wanted to convert. I will not condemn any convert because, quite interestingly, last weeks Torah portion "Mishpatim" {which is my Bar Mitzvah portion} contained the mitzvah not to opress the Ger {convert, proselyte} because we {Jews} were strangers in Egypt.

Muman, I understand what you mean and that does make sense. BUT - would you really take Hollywood loonies like DiCaprio seriously?

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
Converts like me have to deal with headaches because of morons like DiCaprio. Currently there is a wide acceptance among the top rabbis in Israel to push for conversion of intermarried couples before they have children. They feel it is better to have the kids in a Jewish environment rather than an alien one, which I agree but to what extent, I'm not sure.

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »
You never know what can happen. My own mother was a convert to Torah Judaism back in the 1940s. She married my father (he was raised a Torah Jew but got away from it; her conversion brought him back!)

So yes it does happen that the convert can bring the born Jew back.
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
Wasn't he a proven, avid anti-semite?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »
I agree with Muman and Jewish American Patriot.  Sometimes the converts end up brining their spouses, for whom they converted, back to Judaism. 

I used to work with a woman who married a non-Jew, who did a Reform conversion.  The young man seemed very nice.  He even asked her not to do her errands on Saturday.  So who knows, he might just become more and more religious, and the wife, who was born Jewish might become more observant as a result.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
Convert because he is marying some woman?  I thought the he was gay.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 02:24:02 AM »
Wasn't he a proven, avid anti-semite?

Hah, have you seen her?   :o

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
Exactly

right u r
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »

Question:  What if one converts in vain and not out of the love of Torah?  WOuld an Orthodox rabbi accept it?  OTherwise, yes, a true convert should never be opressed.  I agree 1000% with this.  If one slips through the cracks, so to speak, and we have the knowledge that he for sure converted in vain, how do we treat him properly? surely the rabbis did pontificate on these scenarios in the Talmud.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
If somebody wants convert then the Rabbi must ignore him 2-3 times. The convert is easier, if that somebody has Jewish ancestors.
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »
If somebody wants convert then the Rabbi must ignore him 2-3 times. The convert is easier, if that somebody has Jewish ancestors.
That's the given advice in the Talmud. Again, it's advice. I wasn't turned away three times, that doesn't make me any less Jewish. The Torah doesn't hold these restrictions.